Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2001 Pathfinder with 80K miles on it. About 20K miles ago I noticed a rumbling sound in the front end. I assumed it was the wheel bearings, so I replaced them, but the sound was still there. I replaced them again 5k miles ago, and the sound is still there and getting worse. I can also feel a vibration in the wheel and on my foot when driving.

The noise is most pronounced between 40 and 50 MPH. After that you do not hear it at all. I thought I may not be adjusting the wheel bearings correctly so I took it to a garage and he said the wheel bearings are fine. He suspected it was the differential. Do these go out frequently on Pathfinders?

Here are some other factors in this issue:
1. When going over a hill, the noise goes away until the weight of the vehicle is back on.
2. Going around a corner in either direction does not make the noise go away.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
You said "noise won't go away when turning on corners". That's how u test for wheel bearing. Seems it won't go away, It's the Differential. Noise only happen on 40 to 50 mph, Differential.
Is your truck 4x4? Does it have a swith for 4x4? Have you engaged to 4x4 High? IF yes, you shouldn't drive it over 40 mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi. Well, kind of... I have not done anything yet, but I am pretty sure it is the differential bearings or the carrier bearings in the differential housing. I am actually taking it to a garage this week - he rebuilds them and is going to look at it and make sure it is coming from the differential.
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bud: I think my thumping type noise, not really a rumbling, is possibly a CV axle - front. Sounds like it's coming from the driver side. My son drives the Pathy more than I, and really test driving it the past few days, that's what I think. I' hoping to get checked out today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts