Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I need to replace the front brake pads on the '05 Pathy. This is the first time replacing the pads and do I need to replace the calipers too? The car has 72,000 miles. My dealer looked at the car and quoted $140 and I forgot to ask if this is both pads and calipers or just pads. They did advised only the fronts need replacing. I'm assuming for $140 it's only pads but with 72,000 miles should I replace the calipers too or the calipers should last longer. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Looks like I need to replace the front brake pads on the '05 Pathy. This is the first time replacing the pads and do I need to replace the calipers too? The car has 72,000 miles. My dealer looked at the car and quoted $140 and I forgot to ask if this is both pads and calipers or just pads. They did advised only the fronts need replacing. I'm assuming for $140 it's only pads but with 72,000 miles should I replace the calipers too or the calipers should last longer. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You don't need to replace the calipers, it'd be a big waste of money. I've got a 95 Pathfinder with the same calipers from the factory, so no don't request replacements, or you'll be paying, maybe, $1000+?!

You can actually change the pads yourself. All you basically need is ratchet with right size socket and a flat head screwdriver... if you need to do just a little prying to loosen it up a bit. I haven't had to change my 06 front pads yet, but it shouldn't be hard. Changed the rear pads on my 95 SE like doing laundry... it was that easy. Drum brakes... that's a lot more work. Good thing I don't have drum brakes... LOL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops.....not sure what I was thinking when I first posted. I meant rotors not calipers. The Pathy actually is closer to 70,000 miles....do I need to replace the front rotors also? It still has the original rotors and pads. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Oops.....not sure what I was thinking when I first posted. I meant rotors not calipers. The Pathy actually is closer to 70,000 miles....do I need to replace the front rotors also? It still has the original rotors and pads. Thanks!
No, rotors shouldn't have to be replaced unless they are seriously grooved. If it's really rough, they may take them off, put them on a lathe and smoothen it out.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,049 Posts
Every time pads are replaced, the rotors should be recut. Most rotors have enough meat on them so that they can be recut at least two times before they get too thin. As rotors wear, they develop high and low spots and possible excessive runout; this affects braking efficiency. Always refer to the FSM for rotor minimum thickness.

·
Registered
28 Posts
well if it helps i have a 2000 with 208,000 miles and i just had the front pads and rotors replace itt was about 450$ , and the front rotors were original !

·
Registered
310 Posts
Front pads are here and the rotors are here. Brakes are really easy on the Pathy. The $140.00 is only pads+labor, which for a dealer is not that bad... The rotors should be replaced if they are grooved or excessively worn down which is usually not the case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
06 pathfinder brakes

My 06 Pathfinder is 4wd. Do I have to do anything different to take off the rotors?
I just replaced my 06 rotors with aftermarket ones as I found that the original ones warp badly after only 3 months.
I found a set of cross-drilled/slotted rotors online for $109 US and they should last longer as the heat dissipation is far better than on the OEM ones. Plus they just look cool.

Replacing them is really easy:
remove tire
remove caliper (2 bolts)
remove caliper mount 2 bolts
remove rotor.
Loosen brake fluid cap
push caliper pistons in as far as they go (this was surprisingly easy with a small C-clamp)
While you are at it you may want to clean the calipers and add some paint to them. They turn out very nice. Mine are gold now(like the brembos in the new GTR)
Put new rotor in place
Install caliper mount and tighten the bolts well
Put new pads in the calipers and slide them over rotors
Install the 2 bolts that hold the caliper in place
Replace tire
replace brake fluid cap.
start engine and push on the pedal a few times until it tightens up. A couple of warning lights will come on, but don't worry. They'll go away once you restart the engine.
You're done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts