Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery went dead last week at work. Came out at 11pm to go home and it was stone cold dead. Jumped it off with a booster box and I noticed the parking lights and dash lights were on but the switch was in the off position. Got home and disconnected the battery because I could not get the parking lights and brake lights to go out. Next day I discovered a small plastic button thing on the floor board beneath the brake pedal. It was the part of the brake pedal that pushes against brake light actuator switch. It pushes up againist the switch to extinguish the light and turns it on when the brake pedal is depressed. Since it was missing the button, the brake lights actuator was able to go thru the hole and extend as if the brake pedal was pushed. Fixed that problem, reconnected the battery and life is good again. Yesterday I pulled into a parking garage and as I parked I noticed the dash lights and parking lights are illuminating when I push the brake pedal. So now I have front brake lights!!! I do not think this was happening before since it was dark when I parked the truck the other morning and I would have noticed the lights being on. Is it possible the brake switch has gone bad and provided an alternate ground or power to the parking/dash lights? The dash lights can be dimmed while this is happening but they appear to be a little less bright than when activated with the parking light switch on the turn signal arm. I have not done any electrical work to the truck and have not noticed any other electrical problems or quirks.
I am inclined to live with it since it is not hurting anything and I think I am the only truck on the road with front brake lights. It is real neat when you are backing up and the people in front can tell when you are beginning to brake.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll check the trailer harness. That could be where the current is rerouting back into the the parking lights.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, currently I am outside Mexico City, in Queretaro, trying to get electronic parts for a jet so I can fly it back home and work on the truck. Been stuck since Friday. Hope to try the wiring harness theory when, and if, I get home in the next day or so. But I am getting to see plenty of very old,well used Nissan trucks.None with front brake lights though!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts