Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i fried my alternator, what a wonderful feeling !! :mad: I have an aftermarket stereo system and have a Hotshot Header. The dealer told me the combination of Amps im using and heat from the header could be the cause of my problem.

This is what i don't understand, our alternators are rated for 90 Amps. With my stereo cranked and every electrical component on IE: A/C, rear defrost, head lights, wipers...ect...ect...ect, im only using 45 amps. My lowest reading was 33 Amps with stereo crancked and headlights on.

So why the heck am i burning out alternators ?

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Any suggestions would be a great help.

·
Registered
369 Posts
overkill said:
So i fried my alternator, what a wonderful feeling !! :mad: I have an aftermarket stereo system and have a Hotshot Header. The dealer told me the combination of Amps im using and heat from the header could be the cause of my problem.

This is what i don't understand, our alternators are rated for 90 Amps. With my stereo cranked and every electrical component on IE: A/C, rear defrost, head lights, wipers...ect...ect...ect, im only using 45 amps. My lowest reading was 33 Amps with stereo crancked and headlights on.

So why the heck am i burning out alternators ?

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Any suggestions would be a great help.
need a list of equipment in the car with their fuse ratings to give you any advice.:cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe you have a short somewhere; that is drawing too much current. Despite having fuses, the short could be before the fuse.

If it were my car; I think I might try hooking up an amp meter to find out how much current it is really drawing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts