Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Altima and recently replaced the rear brake pad and rotors as suggested by my mechanic. After recalling I recently had brake work done, I found the paperwork from Feb 2017 for replacement of the rear brake pads and rotors. I can't recall replacing anything on the front brakes. This seemed odd to me since the front brakes should be performing more of the stopping. I would think the fronts would wear quicker.

Does replacing the rear brakes approx. 2 years old and only 10k miles seem quick? Is this indicative of another issue that may be causing the quick deterioration of my rear brakes?

Jathis

·
Nissan Enthusiast
2,932 Posts
Depends. The best thing would have been to ask your Mechanic why they wore fairly quickly. What you don't mention is the climate you are in, nor the mileage and type of it you did. A delivery driver in the city will go through brake pads faster than someone who does a long highway commute. If you are in a maritime climate with lots of salt used on roads in winter, you will wear them out faster than places with less cold and snow and ice. If your car sits for long periods in a damp climate without being driven, they will wear faster. If you went for the cheapest rotors and brake pads you can get they will not last as long as an OE or first-rate set. If you don't have the caliper slides and pins lubricated once a year, its common for a pad to get stuck and wear prematurely. If you drive the vehicle hard you will also wear them a lot faster than someone who drives very slowly. Which brings us to, yes your brakes will wear faster if other suspension components are worn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts