Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i just bought fog lights for my 92 sentra 1.6l auto. i was wondering if I could connect it to the headlamp connection.

or

should i connect it to the side lamp connection. ie the orange light next to the headlight?

the guy gave me wiring and a switch and a fuse. i would prefer to have the lights to be controlled from the inside with the switch. but how do i get the wiring to the battery from the car interior?

thanks
mk

·
Registered
59 Posts
You could probably do this a few ways, but here goes the easiest two I think:
1: check your fuse box and run the power wire for the fogs to the head lights fuse and run all the other wiring accordingly- that way the fogs will come on whenever the head lights do...

2: run a new switch on the dashboard- follow the instructions that I hope came with the fogs and run your power wire from the battery through the firewall (you may have to make your own hole) and run that to a switch. That way you can turn them on whenever you want.

If you're looking for a spot to mount the switch, on my 94, there is a removable piece right under the speedo and above the tilt release (probably where some option switch should be- that makes for an easy and clean install) its the perfect size for most switches...

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
i would prefer to have the lights to be controlled from the inside with the switch. but how do i get the wiring to the battery from the car interior?
Mine is a hole drilled in the firewall, near the brake master cylinder.

If you decide to have them operated with a dedicated switch, I'd suggest you also go out and buy a relay. This makes it easier on the switch because most are not designed to handle all the power that goes to the lights and can overheat.

If they're just fogs, you may not want to have them on all the time so having a switch is the best compromise.

·
Registered
390 Posts
did u buy the OEM foglights or aftermarket?? I bought the OEM and I have no idea how it would stay on the bumper. I think im missing a part. anybody have pics of them please post.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought a set of aftermarket PIAA fogs. They just drill into the bumper. You said you bought OEM fogs, did they give you the OEM switch as well? You could probably just follow the same path the assembly line did with running wires and fuses and such...

·
Registered
339 Posts
mk_sentra said:
hi
i just bought fog lights for my 92 sentra 1.6l auto. i was wondering if I could connect it to the headlamp connection.
Ok, here's my setup... my foglamps are screwed to the screws under the bumper, there's like 5 or 6 screws with enough space to put the fogs without the need to drill anything.... now if you have a soltering iron and some idea how to do the wiring: go find a 30AMP Relay and relay socket and do the wiring this way, when you turn on the park lamps (corner lamps) from inside the car (1st position) it gives the relay +12v to coil and only uses like 150mA, then get a fused line from the battery possitive (10 amps usually) to one side of the relay, the other side goes to both fog lamps... get ground from bumper or chassis so when i have the corner lamps on (not the turn signals) the fogs are also on... no holes to drill, no internal switches that may become hot and a very clean install. I installed the relay on the relay box at the engine... some cars has an empty space marked as FOG Lamps. Also dont use plastic tape to cover the solderings or wires, better go to RadioShack and find some HeatShrink tubing...

Good luck!

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
NismoXR said:
did u buy the OEM foglights or aftermarket?? I bought the OEM and I have no idea how it would stay on the bumper. I think im missing a part. anybody have pics of them please post.
I have installed the factory OEM on mine. You have to cut out the scoupes underneath the headlight and they mount there in the bumper for a nice clean factory look. The kit comes with a black plastic housing so the bumper cut dosen't have to be perfect. But in retrospect, it would have been much easier to install them SE-R style, no cutting involved (mounrted underneath the grill).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Definitely go with a relay regardless of what you tap into. Why have the power travel all the way into the cabin, only to travel back out again. Plus, why run all that power thru the switch.

Better to hook up the lights as close as possible to power source, and just let the switch control the relay.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I hooked mine into the corner lamp so whenever I turn on the running lights, they come on. It was really simple, just find a hot wire in the loom going to the back of the corners and put in a splice on that wire using the power wire. Just run the other wires accordingly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
well i know the post id old but i hooked my fogs up the the side amber light and its blowing the fuse if i hook it up to the turn signals will it do the same thing???

·
Registered
159 Posts
all you have to do is put in a larger fuse, 20 amp should be enough...I have my mirrors and fog lights hooked up to my turn signals and it was blowing fuses so I just put in a larger fuse...like I said, 20 should work great.

Steffen

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine has been running like that for about a month now and there hasn't been any problems...it just lets more juice flow through the wires...maybe try a 15 first and if that doesn't work then go to a 20.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have my fogs wired to a switch, so all your saying to wire them to the corners or headlights just splice the power wire into the correct wire? seems simple enough

1 - 17 of 17 Posts