Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k, so i'm going to be building an all motor GA16 this summer, doing everything except higher compression. this includes a lightweight flywheel. now the thing is, the JWT and the fidanza are about the same price, and they're the same weight. so which do i pick? i know fidanza has a good reputation, but nissan tuners live, eat, and breath JWT.

·
Registered
734 Posts
JWT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
i have a fidanza on my SE-R, i couldnt be happier. It has a removable surface pad too which is great!

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Don't get me wrong, JWT is a great company and they put out quality parts. But, to be honest, they want just a little too much for my taste. I'd do Fidanza... they have to have a warranty programme, so you shouldn't have any problems. I wouldn't go Fidanza for axles, though... they snap easier than the stock ones :eek:.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't get me wrong, JWT is a great company and they put out quality parts. But, to be honest, they want just a little too much for my taste. I'd do Fidanza... they have to have a warranty programme, so you shouldn't have any problems. I wouldn't go Fidanza for axles, though... they snap easier than the stock ones :eek:.
yeah i'll just go OEM axles anyway. since i'm going all motor, i don't need to worry too much.

oh yeah, i'm not going turbo anymore nate:p.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
didn't know he had one as well for the b13 GA16 using the sr20de ecu.

how does his compare to the JWT?
Go JWT i have a calum, im ready to run it over with my car, i plan on selling it as soon as i can afford a JWT.

If your looking to just get your car up and running with a base tune, get a calum basic daughterboard ($110 which is real cheap) But im not happy with mine at all.

Calum is a cool guy, but his customer service is bad. He is one guy trying to do 10 peoples jobs at once. Ive had nothing but problems with contacting him about problems with my tune and no answers. I can just call JWT any day, any hour and get the help i need asap.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Go JWT i have a calum, im ready to run it over with my car, i plan on selling it as soon as i can afford a JWT.

If your looking to just get your car up and running with a base tune, get a calum basic daughterboard ($110 which is real cheap) But im not happy with mine at all.

Calum is a cool guy, but his customer service is bad. He is one guy trying to do 10 peoples jobs at once. Ive had nothing but problems with contacting him about problems with my tune and no answers. I can just call JWT any day, any hour and get the help i need asap.
^What problems are you having? I wonder what he is going to do about the customer service part? Something has be done. It's only going to get worse.

didn't know he had one as well for the b13 GA16 using the sr20de ecu.

how does his compare to the JWT?
^Oh, you going GA16 all the way? Cool. What cams do you plan on running? That and a custom header will determine how much power you make. The GA16 don't have enough support for them to have a good header designed.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
^What problems are you having? I wonder what he is going to do about the customer service part? Something has be done. It's only going to get worse.
I got new chips for 370cc's @ 4 bar and bored DE maf. My a/f ratio was bottoming out at like 10.1 very very rich. I contacted calum. He said he would send me new chips and he told me he sent, them its been 3 months. Ive tried calling.. no answer and his mailbox is always full. Made new threads on the dash and other forums trying to contact him and nothing.

So i put my DE maf and put my fuel pressure back down to 3 bar with my old chips, and now im running to lean. 13's a/f ratio. I should be about 11.8 that would be perfect. I'm just over the BS. My injectors at 3 bar are probably maxed. Im making 246whp and they max out at 250whp when running 3 bar.

I should just raise my fuel pressure a little bit and see if it lowers my a/f ratio down some.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^Oh, you going GA16 all the way? Cool. What cams do you plan on running? That and a custom header will determine how much power you make. The GA16 don't have enough support for them to have a good header designed.
its not actually a GA16DE.

it will be a GA16E, a b12 GA16i converted to MPFI using the b13 DE intake manifold, plenum, wiring harness, and ECU. bob89sentra has taken the idea and done it with the 16i ecu and spliced the harnesses and has received really good results, especially in his torque curve.

as for the cam, i have the GA16i eurocam already installed. i'm using an OBX header, which is the closest to the Hot Shot header, and will run a 2" header back exhaust.

i'm sticking with stock compression, but the head is being worked. port and polish and port matching the manifolds.

also going with the lightweight flywheel, and ecu tune.

as for intake, i'll make a CAI as close to a hotshot style as i can.

but, i may go ITB's. extrudabody offers a kit for the GA for $1350, which is comparitively good. if i do, i'll get a re-tune by JWT and get a wideband or S-AFCII.

why stick with the 12 valve? for one, its different, and isn't done much. also, being a 12valve, it has a better torque curve than the 16valve, and being all motor with good suspension, it'll be setup for AutoX, where i'm going to use the mid-range and bottom end more than the top end.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I always thought that DOHC make better power, more torque and higher revs vs. the same motor setup but with a SOHC head. How does the SOHC make more torque? just curious. Sounds like a badass setup though. with ITBs and a lightweight flywheel you'll have bike-like throttle response.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I always thought that DOHC make better power, more torque and higher revs vs. the same motor setup but with a SOHC head. How does the SOHC make more torque? just curious. Sounds like a badass setup though. with ITBs and a lightweight flywheel you'll have bike-like throttle response.
the SOHC is a throttle body injected engine, so it doesn't have quite the power efficiency as the DOHC which has port injection. however, while the DOHC puts out more hp and revs higher, which is what 4valve/cylinder heads are about, the 12 valve SOHC and the 16valve DOHC make the same torque.

its easier if you look at it from a muscle car perspective, because as import tuners, we usually think about high revving engines that make a lot of power up top, and often neglect the bottom end.

guys building a small block mustang who want lotsa NA torque will go with a 16valve (2valve/cylinder) OHV engine, where as guys wanting a lot of top end will go for a newer, 32valve DOHC(quad cams) engine.

less valves/cylinder makes more bottom end, and more valves make better top end.

a well build 12valve NA 4cyl could be a very good setup for autocross, as the two curves blend alot closer together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts