Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to lighten my stock flyweel coz i understood that will improve the car performance

i'll take it off the car and go to a workshop and have it polished (i do not know how to say take from it some unnecesary metal parts it is not driling nor polishing.. anyway take some metal from it)
and i want to ask u if it is here somebody who did such a thing to a stock flyweel, how much weight did he losed, and how the car performance and town drivebility were afected

or how much weight i have to take from it, and what will be the result?

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
youre better off getting an aftermarket lightened steel wheel. it will be stronger because it was machined that way and not just cut down. there are negative effects too that youll have to live with. loss of engine speed rapidly between shifts, loss of momentum off of the line, increased vibration, increased noise - especially when starting. oh yeah, expensive too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok but about can be made an estimation of 0-100km/h and 400m time improvement, and how much weight i have to lose to achive that

i want to take my car to the edge betwen street drivbility and race/performance
i do not take my foot off the pedal when i change gears, i only raise it a bit to have proper rmp, so " loss of engine speed rapidly between shifts" this will not be a problem, it will only afect as i understood the engine brake (i do not how to say , u shif tto a lower geear to decrase the speed of the car, i use it mostly when i descent a mountin with a lot of curves)

the vibration i think it will apear only if it is not proper balanced

in what way it is expensive? takeing some metal from it it is much more chaper then buyn an aftermarket one

anyway can someone who has a lightenweight flyweel, how much weight did he losed and how his car performance (0-100km/h time and 400m time) was improved?

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
8,268 Posts
ByReaL said:
ok but about can be made an estimation of 0-100km/h and 400m time improvement, and how much weight i have to lose to achive that

i do not take my foot off the pedal when i change gears, i only raise it a bit to have proper rmp, so " loss of engine speed rapidly between shifts" this will not be a problem, it will only afect as i understood the engine brake (i do not how to say , u shif tto a lower geear to decrase the speed of the car, i use it mostly when i descent a mountin with a lot of curves)

in what way it is expensive? takeing some metal from it it is much more chaper then buyn an aftermarket one

anyway can someone who has a lightenweight flyweel, how much weight did he losed and how his car performance (0-100km/h time and 400m time) was improved?
Be very careful about using an OEM flywheel that has been lightened. If they're cut too much, they'll have a tendency to disintegrate at high RPMs. When a flywheel disintegrates, it'll take your leg off if it's in the way. I've seen exploded flywheel effects; they make large holes through car bodies.

If you want to go with a light flywheel, buy a high quality custom unit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx that sound very encouraging, anyway lets say i'll buy a afthermarket one, i'll put a shield to protect my feet .....

what about performance?

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
8,268 Posts
ByReaL said:
thx that sound very encouraging, anyway lets say i'll buy a afthermarket one, i'll put a shield to protect my feet .....

what about performance?
You're not going to get more HP but the motor will rev up quicker. However the idle may be more rough depending on the weight of the wheel. Should be better all around for racing.

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
ByReaL said:

being properly balanced is not why the lightened flywheel is nosiy or has vibration, its simply because there is less metal there to absorb vibration and noise. the reason the engine loses rpm's is because the flywheel is spinning mass. lessen that mass and it takes away some of the engines ability to maintain torque without accelerating. thats the reason the engine revs faster too. less mass to spin. you will lose some engine braking with a lightened flywheel. the weight savings depends on the wheel you buy. my stock altima flywheel was 19 lbs if i remember correctly and my jun was only 11. so theres a significant difference in weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.