Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well tonight i was driving with a couple friends hit a piece of glass with 1 of my brand new snow tires and it decided to blow out :( i happened to hit the corner or a snowbank while spinning out of control and flipped it onto its side...... after we got it bank of all four tires it started up right away and we threw the donut on..... car ran great right after (lost my oil cap it was off some old diesel engine and didnt fit right) and threw a rag with an elastic to hold it on over top... now car is out of oil and my car wont start the rag went missing :( i'm hoping that once i fill the oil up it will start up tomorrow it has been a very rough day for me and i just figured i would share my story kinda helps my get it off my mind my making a post..... i hope i can get her runnin tommorrow :S

·
Registered
734 Posts
cmack said:
well tonight i was driving with a couple friends hit a piece of glass with 1 of my brand new snow tires and it decided to blow out :( i happened to hit the corner or a snowbank while spinning out of control and flipped it onto its side...... after we got it bank of all four tires it started up right away and we threw the donut on..... car ran great right after (lost my oil cap it was off some old diesel engine and didnt fit right) and threw a rag with an elastic to hold it on over top... now car is out of oil and my car wont start the rag went missing :( i'm hoping that once i fill the oil up it will start up tomorrow it has been a very rough day for me and i just figured i would share my story kinda helps my get it off my mind my making a post..... i hope i can get her runnin tommorrow :S
oh no not a rag!!! Not a good idea. The timing chain probly grabed it!! good luck :rolleyes:

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
Or you trashed the rings to the piont that they can no longer make compression. Sorry to hear of your bad luck was the body destroyed or did it survive alright? Also it sounded as if everyone was ok in the car so that good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well got some good news i found the rag that was on there and it didn't get sucked into the engine :) it was only about a litre and a half down so i topped her up dumped some gas in the carb and she fired right up had to do it a couple times but after that it ran i guess it was just an air bubble or my gas guage isn't reading right... but yay its alive again :)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
nice.. i always forget my oil cap so i keep spare little film canasters with me, those little bottles that u get , lol fit right in there on a ga16i

·
Registered
751 Posts
Slacky said:
nice.. i always forget my oil cap so i keep spare little film canasters with me, those little bottles that u get , lol fit right in there on a ga16i
lol
I havent had that problem every since I bought a spare. Found the old one down in the engine compartment AFTER I bought the spare.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
My oil cap is forever coming off down the road mainly when the wife adds oil but I have always found it in the engine compartment. Nissan could have put more thought into the design instead of forcing a 2.5 inch plug into a 2.25 inch hole.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
o yea thats the e16 engine alright the first time i changed the oil i was turning it and turning it was like wtf it wont off then getting it on is even harder, looked at the whole and saw how big it was and i though wow i better never loose this cap, never did, but i ALWAYS forgot the oil cap on the ga16i engine, i even parked the car for a year and the first time i put oil in it and went to start it i forgot to put the cap on, im a idiot sometimes or just absent minded alot

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
mille-16i said:
My oil cap is forever coming off down the road mainly when the wife adds oil but I have always found it in the engine compartment. Nissan could have put more thought into the design instead of forcing a 2.5 inch plug into a 2.25 inch hole.

lmao...sounds like me trying to get a crankcase breather for my chevy...took me awhile to figure out that i was getting breathers that were 1/4" to big. the first time i tried it it worked, but then broke...then i tried to replace it couldn't get it to work and finnaly realized the size.

i always took a hammer with me to get the e16i oil cap on...and use the claw to pull it off.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
lol yea a hammer would have worked but i did it like any other man and just yelled swares at it until it let go (as if it wre deliberatly holding it to anger me)

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
minute rice sentra said:
I got tired of that crap and got a new one from nissan, so much better!
nissan has a better oil cap available or is it just more pliable since it is new

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
i bought a new cap its rubber... comes on and off pretty easy so far but who knows how it will be after time

as for dents in my car theres 1 on the front passenger side fender and a tiny dent above the passenger side wheel well (the car just rolled onto its side) i managed to hammer to dent out of the front fender and the other one is so small its hardly noticeable thank god for snow or it would probably be worse.... but wait if there wasn't any snow i probably wouldn't have spun out nailed the snowbank and rolled it :S i'm just happy everything is all good

btw i should've made the topic rolled it but i wasn't exactly in my right made when i first made the post

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gsolo said:
more pliable cause its new. after a decade or so of high heat and oil they get stiff.
oh yea...i know about that....when i first got my 86 pulsar.....i was changing the oil.....i noticed the cap was preety much floating on top ....i could turn it and all....but coming off was sooper hard....i just grabbed it and pulled as hard as i could....it came off alright...with a loud pop and my backside on the pavement....oh yea....at first i thought it was solid rubber....because it was so stiff....but i went to a junkyard and got another one...a more pliable one...but yea....the car was parked on a driveway a little over 9 months...in the so cal heat....so i think that may have contributed to the stiffness of the cap......

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
my question is why not a screw in one it seems like a better Idea but think of all the money they have made on replacement caps.

BTW Glad to hear that your car is pretty undamaged now you and your buddys have one hell of a story to tell :thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
indeed i was surprized that the windows didn't smash out or anything.... i was thinking of geting a screw in cap but w/e i think my good ol' e16 is gonna die soon anyways probably got a year or so left

1 - 20 of 25 Posts