Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

I have an 06 Nismo with 190K on it.. My mechanic is telling me that my timing chain is shot and "that's a lot of money to put into a truck with that many miles on it"..

What are people seeing with these trucks?

Anyone going over 200K?

Is the general opinion to fix them, or dump them at this point?

Thanks!

Dano

·
Registered
348 Posts
Howdy!

I have an 06 Nismo with 190K on it.. My mechanic is telling me that my timing chain is shot and "that's a lot of money to put into a truck with that many miles on it"..

What are people seeing with these trucks?

Anyone going over 200K?

Is the general opinion to fix them, or dump them at this point?

Thanks!

Dano
Dano,

I4 or V6, AT or MT, KC or CC?

Condition is Most Important on Resale Value IMO. I've read several post's/thread's of Owner's getting over 300K but Haven't seen many post's over 400K on a V6 2nd Gen. Durability is Directly Proportionate to Preventative Maintenance.

Go to KBB, TrueValue, and other online site's to plug in your Truck to see what they come up with a current Resale Value.

You sure won't get much on Resale,, if the motor's not Running or Makeing a lot of Noise and Running Rough.

I've never had a problem Saleing one of my used Truck's in Good Condition and Running Smooth. There's alway's a good Demand for a Good Used Truck, I've found.

Nissan will give you a Loyalty/VPP Discount as a current Nissan Owner Toward's a New Nissan.

IMO Condition is Everything on a Used Truck.

Good Luck whichever way you decide to go.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
My 08 Pathfinder has around 225,000 miles on it and still going strong. My 06 Pathy has 190,000 on it. Recent oil analysis looked good on both. Niether burns any oil nor smokes. Both have had the timing chains replaced, which is fairly common. When they made the upper chains (05-10 models of the VQ40DE in the US), the tooling would wear and cause sharp edges on the chain links when stamped, which cut into the plastic timing chain faces and started to "whine." Depending on the amount of wear on the tooling when the links were stamped dictates how long it takes to become an issue, as there is no specific interval for the problem to show up and on many, it didn't show up at all. There was a TSB on the issue. The cost of the repair varies as to how much is replaced during the job. The TSB dictates to only replace the upper chains, tensioner faces and necessary seals, oil filter, etc. If the mileage is high, then it makes sense to throw in the primary chain and tensioner, thermostat, water pump and...as necessary: serpentine belt and tensioner, coolant hoses, etc. If you have an auto trans and the radiator is original, then it would be a good time to replace that, as well, or bypass the integral cooler, if it hasn't been addressed already, due to the cooler failure issues these vehicles are known for. The "basic" timing chain repair without all of the add-ons usually runs in the $1200 to $1400 range. Of course, that can quickly increase when adding on a water pump and other parts.
Is it worth it? That's really your decision to make. If everything else is in good condition, your truck may have a lot of miles left in its future once the chain issue is addressed. If you are still happy with the truck, then it's worth having the chain fixed if that's all it needs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts