Nissan Forum banner

First problem, wheel bearing

97K views 118 replies 46 participants last post by  quadraria10 
#1 ·
Well, at 80,500km, I finally encounter my first problem with the X-T.
The rear driver's side wheel bearing looks like it is on the way out. I started to get a low humming noise from that wheel the last couple days. Good news is, the bearing is $110 Canadian (I was expecting a lot more!), and about an hour labour according to my dealer.
Anybody else have wheel bearing failure?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Yes, sounds like it was all the one unit. I will get a better look at the wheel bearing assembly when I get it fixed on Monday.
My Brother's Pontiac Grand Am needed two wheel bearings replaced, and they have the ABS sensors built into the unit, and he paid a lot of $$ to replace those.
I might get the other side checked too while it is in for service.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Had my bearing replaced yesterday. What a difference. The vehicle is so quiet now (compared to before). Made me realize how bad the bearing really was.
I guess you don't notice these things when the bearing gradually wears out.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
DevilD said:
I think I may have this issue now with 89,000km's, but in addition to the noise, I also feel a vibration. Did anyone else have a vibration from this issue?

Thanks
Damian
I remember getting a noise and some vibration (although not severe), especially on long turns.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Well, I have more news to report. My 2nd problem with the Xtrail at 143000km. Had the opposite side (rear passenger side) wheel bearing fail.
I can't complain though. This is still the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Only two problems in 143k is pretty impressive... other than brake maintenance.

The first wheel bearing went bad shortly after towing a travel trailer. This 2nd bearing went bad shortly after towing a trailer with a snowmobile a fairly long distance. I'm beginning to think the problem is caused by the extra weight of the trailer on the rear wheels. Might be unrelated, but awful coincedental.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
I guess I'm not the only one Oreo. Our roads are very salty too. As a result the mechanics needed more time removing the assembly due to corroded bolts. Luckily for me, they managed to remove them without breaking or cutting the bolts. The last time I had a bearing replaced, the part was $103. This time around it was $123 (+ 2.5 hours labour to install).

Discussion starter · #26 ·
How much did the front wheel repair cost boggarte (if you don't mind me asking)? I would like to compare to the rear bearing replacement cost.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Well, that rear bearing that I had replaced at 80,500km (which started this thread) is now shot again at 154,000km. This is definatly a weak point in the XT design!

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Called the dealer and they charge 300$ can. I think that it s a rip off: an hour and a half to change the bearing plus the alignement and the bearing cost.I can almost do that with a pair of pliers and two drops of wd-4o in one hour.No one has done this before? (not with the pliers and stuff...)lol
That is about what I paid. The part was somewhere around $100-$110 I think.
The problem with doing the bearing repair is corroded bolts. They had a hard time getting some of the bolts loose to get the suspension arms off the vehicle. They had to use heat (torch) and it took a while. Good luck with it.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Well, at 185,000km, I'm replacing the rear wheel bearing for the X-Trail, for the 4th time (two on each side).
:eek:

This is getting annoying. :thumbdwn:

Discussion starter · #41 ·
The first two died shortly after trailering (snowbear trailer) with a snowmobile on it. I guess the extra weight of the trailer caused the bearing to die quicker each time. I'm guessing they were already worn out, just the trailer put them 'over the edge'.

It has seen no trailering for the last two bearing failures.
A poor design in my opinion.

Nissan's price on the bearings have gone up as well. The first one cost me $103 at the dealership, now they are looking for $145.
The fact that the dealership did not offer to give me a break on the cost of the bearing (seeing this is the 4th time) has probably made up my mind about buying another Nissan. :balls:

Discussion starter · #43 ·
That is very unfortuneate clydesider.
Here is a pic of the rear bearing. It is actually an NTN bearing packaged in a Nissan bag. I wrote the number next to it in case anyone needs it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.