Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, at 80,500km, I finally encounter my first problem with the X-T.
The rear driver's side wheel bearing looks like it is on the way out. I started to get a low humming noise from that wheel the last couple days. Good news is, the bearing is $110 Canadian (I was expecting a lot more!), and about an hour labour according to my dealer.
Anybody else have wheel bearing failure?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Xtrailguy said:
The rear driver's side wheel bearing looks like it is on the way out. I started to get a low humming noise from that wheel the last couple days. Good news is, the bearing is $110 Canadian (I was expecting a lot more!), and about an hour labour according to my dealer.
That is cheap. My boss had a wheel bearing wear out on a 1989 Jeep and it cost over $500.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ERBell said:
That is cheap. My boss had a wheel bearing wear out on a 1989 Jeep and it cost over $500.
I'm guessing that on the XTrail the wheel bearings can be pressed out and replaced separately. On the Jeep the wheel bearing and hub are a one piece non servicable unit so if the bearing goes you need to replace the whole hub. But at $500 he still got ripped (unless that included labour), a new hub should only be in the $200-$300 range for the part.

Ian (used to own a '92 YJ)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, sounds like it was all the one unit. I will get a better look at the wheel bearing assembly when I get it fixed on Monday.
My Brother's Pontiac Grand Am needed two wheel bearings replaced, and they have the ABS sensors built into the unit, and he paid a lot of $$ to replace those.
I might get the other side checked too while it is in for service.

·
Registered
109 Posts
damon said:
Two rear wheel brgs replaced at 20000 km
Under Warranty but still not a good sign
Regards Jim
98,000km on mine and no signs of bearing problems. I would say this is isolated, but all brands get that every once in a while, even the great Toyotas and Hondas.

·
Fully Bolted + Juiced!
389 Posts
I had my front left wheel bearing replaced some time ago. It came out to $15.00 U.S.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had my bearing replaced yesterday. What a difference. The vehicle is so quiet now (compared to before). Made me realize how bad the bearing really was.
I guess you don't notice these things when the bearing gradually wears out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Noise - please help!

Hi all
I got 2006 Bonavista - It's just 20K on it.
I noticed weird noise coming from ...front, I guess... First, I thought it's cooling fan/motor, coz it sounds exactly like it, but louder... Then I realized that there is no noise at all when car is idling. Engine runs perfectly quiet. :confused: The nooise comes back always at about 30-40 km/h and up. Getting louder when car slows down (I don't even touch brakes)...

Sound familiar to anyone?...
I take it to the dealer next week, but have little hope they can fix it...

Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Aman

Could you try and describe the noise? (e.g. screaming, vibrationary, high pitch, plastic against metal, or...?)

Not when turning the steering wheel?

Could be the notorious muffler/silencer problem (search forum to read more). To find out; let someone rev the engine at different speeds while you grasp the end of the exhaust to see whether it affects the noise. First check this out just after having started the vehicle cold.

Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
GFB,

This is low pitch "grinding" noise only when car is moving. Not from steering for sure.
No noise when car is idling. I tried to rev it from 0 to about 4000 PRM - can't hear nothing.
Best heard at about 50-60 km/h gas pedal released and car slows down itself ("engine break").
If one can imagine sound of WWII era aircraft up in the sky - this is the best mach for that kind of noise.

Thanls for the reply, GFB
Regards,
A

·
X-Trail Moderator
902 Posts
Same problem encountered before by "Xtrailguy".
Threads were merged for reference.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Xtrailguy said:
I had the same bearing fail on mine in April.

Greg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DevilD said:
I think I may have this issue now with 89,000km's, but in addition to the noise, I also feel a vibration. Did anyone else have a vibration from this issue?

Thanks
Damian
I remember getting a noise and some vibration (although not severe), especially on long turns.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I have more news to report. My 2nd problem with the Xtrail at 143000km. Had the opposite side (rear passenger side) wheel bearing fail.
I can't complain though. This is still the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Only two problems in 143k is pretty impressive... other than brake maintenance.

The first wheel bearing went bad shortly after towing a travel trailer. This 2nd bearing went bad shortly after towing a trailer with a snowmobile a fairly long distance. I'm beginning to think the problem is caused by the extra weight of the trailer on the rear wheels. Might be unrelated, but awful coincedental.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.