Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a Noob at forums, its my first nissan,08 Altima 2.5 s..Cadillac tranny died, I was in heaven for a week on the gas mileage factor alone..I LOVE great sound and had some freinds over and i was beginning an install of said stereo when the unthinkable happened..I could not get thru the firewall to save my life..i had dull drill bits..i went and got the ultimate 20$ drill bit and when i returned realized it was gonna downpour (in florida, that happens fast ) and had to go out back and move my recently completed subwoofer box into the back porch..then all hell broke loose..one of my less than sober freinds made it thru the firewall..unfortunately he made it thru my wiring harness also..skip forward..(that was an ugly next few hours).after the harness is replaced (by a mechanic but not nissan)..he checks the fuses and realizes that some are blown and orders them..he then tells me that the car wont start, i figure that it has to do with said blown fuses..he says he cannot communicate with the ecu..like it wont read the smart key..i dont know for sure what fuses were blown yet, im going bny in the am..but he said there were single and double fuses blown..is everything that the fuse covers listed in the fuse description?.is ther a chance that the entire security system needs reset or the smart key needs to be reprogrammed?i asked if the computer had a fuse on it somewhere and he said no..is that possible?..my mind is racing with negative possibilities.I realize how long winded this is and apologize if this is the wrong place for this post..And yes, i realize how stupid and self inflicted this damage to my car was..My girl cant seem to stop reminding me JUST how stupid this was..I have always been the type of person to do all my own work on my vehicle, and this one got away from me fast..it is defeating to say the least..i have not spoken to my freind yet..but we will be speaking very soon..you can bet on that..at this point i am prepared to fix the car no matter what..i would just like some pointers on things to check,things to make sure are done, any workarounds possible, any reprogramming etc..plz dont beat me up too bad lol..seeing as how i need the help, ill take a verbal beating if i have to..thanking you in advance, David

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like when you blew fuses you triggered the security system and probably need to bring it to a nissan dealer to unlock the car in order to get it going again

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,904 Posts
I'll assume that the battery was still connected when the "surgery" was started. A good rule-of-thumb to follow is ALWAYS disconnect the battery when working on electrical components or near electrical components. Since the mechanic is saying that he cannot communicate with the ECU, there's a very good chance that the drilling into the engine harness with the power on may have burned out the ECU.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll assume that the battery was still connected when the "surgery" was started. A good rule-of-thumb to follow is ALWAYS disconnect the battery when working on electrical components or near electrical components. Since the mechanic is saying that he cannot communicate with the ECU, there's a very good chance that the drilling into the engine harness with the power on may have burned out the ECU.
If this bbn is true try disconnecting negative terminal on battery (the black one) removing the ecu and connect battery again and attach ecu

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,904 Posts
If this bbn is true try disconnecting negative terminal on battery (the black one) removing the ecu and connect battery again and attach ecu
Well it turns out that the OP's first post indicated that the mechanic had to replace the entire engine harness which normally includes all the engine sensor connections as well as the ECU connector; in order to do this, I would assume, that he would normally first disconnect the battery; so after the replacement, the engine is now unable to start. I've seen a lot of cases where people would jumper their battery in reverse (incorrect polarity) to get a car started, resulting in damage to the ECU.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so far this is what I know..i moved my car to a new mechanic..this guy was way too busy to spend any real time on my car..within a half hour of being at my old mechanics garage he figured out that while the first guy pulled and repaired the harness,either a soldering joint was cracked or the solder on one spot dried sharp, and pierced the loom jutting into a second wire because as he removed the loom around the harness, the fuse that had been blowing stopped blowing...the ecu was not damaged, he still has two issues not figured out..i sent him a text about recalls I saw..wasn't there a Nissan ignition lock problem for the 08 altimas?..I have no idea if this is part of the problem, just spitballing..after 3 weeks im chomping at the bit to get my car back..i have a second car, but it is my daughters ride in my name...my ride for the time being and she aint so happy about it..ima do something nice for her once this is resolved..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a couple more questions for when this repair is done ..ive been looking for a higher output alternator for the 08 Altima 2.5s..all I find is for the Altima 2.5l and the 3.5s..is there a higher output alternator for this make and model?..im looking for 180amp to 220..nothing super huge..anyone have a link to someone who does this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts