Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read on z31.com that u can bolt the throttle body from a 240sx onto the 300zx, adds a lil extra power, but neways, i was wondering if ne1 here has done it, and if so did u need to retune the engine or make ne other mods to make it fit? plz help

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
You should port the intake collector (what it mounts on) to match the throttle body. Going from big to original size sorta like a shallow cone. That's it. Oh and reset the ECU.

·
Registered
108 Posts
SKD_Tech said:
You should port the intake collector (what it mounts on) to match the throttle body. Going from big to original size sorta like a shallow cone. That's it. Oh and reset the ECU.
It's not worth it IMO unless you port everything. The TB isn't the biggest restrictor in the Z31 intake system; the intake plenum is.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Domdogg123 said:
It's not worth it IMO unless you port everything. The TB isn't the biggest restrictor in the Z31 intake system; the intake plenum is.
Indeed, rather pointless to install a larger TB and still have the smaller manifold behind it. Even with porting.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
i am also thinking bout putting the manifold from a pathfinder on it
That would be your best bet. It's been gone over a few times just in this section but you will also have hood clearance issues with that manifold.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
yeah i read bout that, how much it cost to have the stock mani ported and polished?
It's been done, at great cost of time and brain damage. One of the guys here I think has a one-off done by Engloid, who insisted he would never do it again......
I'm not sure if extrude honing would work on our manifolds or not, I doubt it or it would have been done before now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's been done, at great cost of time and brain damage. One of the guys here I think has a one-off done by Engloid, who insisted he would never do it again......
I'm not sure if extrude honing would work on our manifolds or not, I doubt it or it would have been done before now.
Engloid is back again!! harsh financial problems has cause him to come out of hiding. He hasn't made any for sale yet, but when they come out, expect around $400...not cheap, but very effective

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Domdogg123 said:
Engloid is back again!! harsh financial problems has cause him to come out of hiding. He hasn't made any for sale yet, but when they come out, expect around $400...not cheap, but very effective
$400 is about what I would expect to pay for a performance intake for a Z31. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the 60mm Tb on my 84 ZXT and it did give a quicker throttle response but I would not say it increased HP. However I do like it better, I have a Pathy intake to go on my car after the stroker bottom end goes in. I bought my intake from one of those online junk yard sales places. I think I paid $90.00. I will tell you this, the 240SX Tb will work but I used a 90-92 nissan Stanza TB. They are identical except the water inlet and outlet are on the bottom like the original, the 240 one is on the top. You can still make it work but the Stanza looks alot cleaner. But to answer your question, I bought my TB for $25.00 at a junk yard, It was worth every penny on my stock intake that I matched ported myself. Enjoy.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Engloid is making them again. Hes only about 10 minutes from where I am right now. It was the lower intake manifold porting and polishing that he said was a big pain. I have both a gutted plenum and a lower ported and polished intake manifold. Well see when he puts them on sale. He is also reworking heads now.

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JAMESZ said:
Engloid is making them again. Hes only about 10 minutes from where I am right now. It was the lower intake manifold porting and polishing that he said was a big pain. I have both a gutted plenum and a lower ported and polished intake manifold. Well see when he puts them on sale. He is also reworking heads now.
i'm in so cali, does he get the mani's from a yard then mill them or would he require mine?

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
i'm in so cali, does he get the mani's from a yard then mill them or would he require mine?
I think you can do a core charge. Basically when you get the new plenum you send him your old one.

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a what? sry this is my first project car, i ahve some experience doing very basic stuff, but to date this would be my first complicated modification, i don't plan on doing it for a few months but i wanna figure out how first that way i can get it done when i do, and where and wat is the plenum?

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
The plenum is the upper intake manifold we have been discussing the entire time. And if you have never heard of a core charge you must of never worked on cars. It means you get your new one and send him the old stock one.

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JAMESZ said:
The plenum is the upper intake manifold we have been discussing the entire time. And if you have never heard of a core charge you must of never worked on cars. It means you get your new one and send him the old stock one.
oh ok, yeah i'm only 18, but i've wanted to work on cars since 16 but never got the chance, so this is my first project car (second car owned, first car was a 1990 acura legend), i'm gonna start taking some auto tech classes on the 18th, but yeah i don't know all the terms for everything i know basic names for stuff, sry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts