Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished my clutch install, it was more work than I thought but it saved me a lot of $ in the end. Everything is installed and working but I have 2 questions.
First I adjusted my clutch cable as tight as it can go but my clutch still is a bit loose. It dosen't engage till almost halfway down. Is there any other way to adjust my clutch?
Second can anyone tell me where the ground cable (black-yellow I believe) from the battery is supposed to be attached?

·
Registered
177 Posts
if you drove yor car hard (shifting hard,dumping the clutch)until the clutch went out your cable is streched and needs to be replaced.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you drove yor car hard (shifting hard,dumping the clutch)until the clutch went out your cable is streched and needs to be replaced.
I did drive it hard sometimes, and I think that this probably is the problem.

The ground cable goes on one of the front transmission bolts.
So it should go to a front tranny->engine bolt? I imagine it dosen't matter which one as long as the cable reaches, right?

Also how long is the break in period for a new clutch? I've heard anywhere from 250-500 miles.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
299 Posts
It can go to either of the front trans to motor bolts. Depending on the clutch it can take 500 to as much as 1500 miles if you use a segmented kevlar disc.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm only using the stock disc, what break in period would that have?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My cable was way long after I put my clutch & flywheel in so I had to add some washers to the cable.Mind you this is after I bought a new cable.Because I figured the old one was stretched.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My cable was way long after I put my clutch & flywheel in so I had to add some washers to the cable.Mind you this is after I bought a new cable.Because I figured the old one was stretched.
So did you need the washers after installing the new cable? I'm confused.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had to use washers even after I put the new cable on.I'm going to shim it when I get time so I can take the washers off.
If you do a search there are a few people with this same problem about a month or so ago.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It took me a really long time. I did it over the course of 3 days, but I took a lot of breaks. Overall it probably took me over 10 hours. It could be done much quicker though. If I had a better way of removing/installing the transmission I could have saved a lot of time. I used a floor jack, and wasted a lot of time getting the transmission back in.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I plan on installing my ACT clutch today and was just looking at your thread. Any other tips i can use to save time?
The only thing I can thing of is on putting the transmission back in. It took me forever to get this done with just a floor jack. Doing this another way would save time, with an engine lift or something.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
All i have is a floor jack. Damn that sucks. Well i have two of them. One is supporting the oil pan and engine, the other is supporting the loose tranny right now. It got too late and will finish tommorrow.

·
lost and found
165 Posts
clutch kit

i just bought an exedy clutch kit. and i have a jdm motor waiting to go in. so i was trying to put the new stuff in, but i cant figure out where this little ring goes. the box came with 5 things. pressure plate. clutch, throw back berring, alinement tool, and this little ring. that i cant figure out where it goes, their wasnt one on my tranny or motor. can anyone tell me where it goes? and also if i really have to resurface the flywheel, cause it doesnt look bad, its only got like 30k miles.

·
Registered
427 Posts
that "ring" is an input shaft pilot bearing. Unfortunately the input shafts in our transmissions aren't long enough to engage a pilot bearing. I don't know why it is included in a lot of clutch kits (even OEM kits) because we cant even use it.
-dave

·
lost and found
165 Posts
thanks cause i didnt want to put it all together and it not work. what about resurfacin the flywheel. it doesnt look worn out at all. should i still get it done?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts