Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everyones oppinion on fiberglass body pieces? I just got in a car accident the other day and my front bumper was made of fiberglass. Though it was a minor accident the bumper went to pieces and i have to get a new one. It would only cost me around $100 to get the same one i had before as opposed to something else but do you think its a good idea to put something that could easily break again back on? Or do you think i should just stop hitting other cars :rolleyes:

·
MY PIRANNAS ARE BITTING
147 Posts
Orbital199 said:
Whats everyones oppinion on fiberglass body pieces? I just got in a car accident the other day and my front bumper was made of fiberglass. Though it was a minor accident the bumper went to pieces and i have to get a new one. It would only cost me around $100 to get the same one i had before as opposed to something else but do you think its a good idea to put something that could easily break again back on? Or do you think i should just stop hitting other cars :rolleyes:
I would recommend stop hitting the other cars and no one has to battle

·
Registered
34 Posts
For me personally, I will not put fiberglass pieces on my car. If you have a fiberglass body kit and scrub something then it brakes, it doesn't give at all. The only thing that I would even consider is the authentic Nismo wing (which is fiberglass) the rest of my body kit is urethane.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i hate fiberglass body pieces.....with a passion. one bump and the piece is trash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i would not go back with the fiberglass at least spring for the polyfiber if you cant go polyurethane. both paint better than fiberglass and are way more forgiving, however even if you have an accident with a urethane bumper it is probably still going to break (depending on how much fun you are having aka how fast you are going). fiberglass is cheaper and easier to repair, and im not real sure how to repair polyurethane bumper or if you can. o yeah and from my experience polyfiber and polyurethane usually fit better, just remember you get what you pay for. good luck, i kno exactly what you are going through i have done it twice

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
I have a few fiberglass body panels (front bumper, front fenders)
My car is not a daily though, so it's no biggie to me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im thinking of just going to a junk yard and picking up a stock bumper but im not sure. It all depends on how much insurance will give me. I want to find something thats reasonably priced and durable but not too over the top.
This is the front clip i had before

http://www.bodykits.com/fullview.php?id_no=24926&view=OK&unit_price=765&option_price=765

I didnt have the whole kit, just the bumper. I love the way it looks but even if im driving along at night and hit some kind of furry creature in the road it cracks. Ive hit 3 opposums and had terrible damange just because of that. Anybody have any suggestions on where to look for a new bumper?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the insurance company called and said that since my car is an 89 and basicly worthless as they put it, that if the damage done to my car is more then 80% of its value, they'll total it. If the damage is under it, lets say roughly $600, then i still have a 500 dollar deductable to pay which will only leave me with $100 to fix my car...... I love that i pay monthly insurance payments so they can really help me out in times like these.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
fiberglass > urethane

u guys dont know how to work with fiberglass......its not as weak as u guys make it out to be...urethane is a bitch because urethane is "almost" unrepairable in an accident...fiberglass can be repaired VERY VERY easily, and its cheaper overall, in the short run and long run.

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
cHoPs said:
fiberglass > urethane

u guys dont know how to work with fiberglass......its not as weak as u guys make it out to be...urethane is a bitch because urethane is "almost" unrepairable in an accident...fiberglass can be repaired VERY VERY easily, and its cheaper overall, in the short run and long run.
Well urethane can be repaired and worked with cause ive done it but its alot more difficult than just fiberglass. You can use a urethane compound that comes in small tubes for about $20 each. For me it applies just like bondo, catshair, etc etc.....I smoothed out my rear bumper with great success , and it lasted the whole time it was on my car, it flexed, stretched, expanded, contracted the same as the OEM bumper material, and I think its great stuff.
I would use it for everything from body filler to a molding kits but its so damned expensive.........

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
cHoPs said:
fiberglass > urethane

fiberglass chips and cracks faster than urathane, at least the kits for cars, my friend has an accord and his rear bumper is cracked in half after somebody hit him from the back. Same thing happened to me and the only damage i have is scraped paint.

·
Registered
851 Posts
cHoPs said:
fiberglass > urethane

kick a fiberglass bumper, then kick a urethane. my sentra has some kind of composite bumpers (not fiberglass) and the most simple way to put it is that theyre indestructable, ive hit EVERYTHING with those bumpers and have yet to have a problem (except when i got rearended and got pushed into a JEEP's trailor hitch :mad: )

i fucking LOVE my B13 E sentra's bumpers.....my moms 2004 mercury grand marquees is another story, a parking lot tap and a pile of snow did $800 in damage (repaint rear bumper, and replace front bumper+paint......guess which one hit snow, and which on tapped another car :lol: )

·
Registered
851 Posts
Orbital199 said:
The bumper that i had before worked for 89-91, so will a stock 91 bumper work for my car though its an 89?
from my understanding, alot of people like to do that swap. im not a big fan of the pignose myself.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
^hahaha

yea sounds like u guys are LOOKING for excuses for your fiberglass stuff to fuck up or somethin....lol. fiberglass is just more ideal when it comes to kits and other shit...main reason is fiberglass DOES NOT sag, urethane does.

·
Registered
851 Posts
1CLNB14 said:
Um, why on earth are you kicking your car? :fluffy:
thats the kindest thing i do to my car, ill have to upload some pics tonight. ;)

imo all kits should be made of some type of high-flex plastic or compsite. i know theyre made of all types of different plastic, and the bumper on my 91 sentra IS, in fact, un destructable. the reason is more of my personal prefernce, but it would also be good cuz you wouldnt see so many people driving around with f'ed up kits.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts