Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Nissan Sentra. It will not start. The engine sounds like it wants to turn over but just doesn't. I have checked the battery, the spark plugs and found nothing. I did the computer check thingy (don't laugh at me!) and it came back "erg flow malfunction". Okay...my question: How do I get to the erg thingy to clean it out? Before having to just replace it?

Thanks in advance for your responses..and for not laughing at me.. :dumbass:

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
breezy said:
I have a 1996 Nissan Sentra. It will not start. The engine sounds like it wants to turn over but just doesn't. I have checked the battery, the spark plugs and found nothing. I did the computer check thingy (don't laugh at me!) and it came back "erg flow malfunction". Okay...my question: How do I get to the erg thingy to clean it out? Before having to just replace it?

Thanks in advance for your responses..and for not laughing at me.. :dumbass:
You sound like you know a bit more than you lead on... if you know how to check the ECU for codes anyway. To the point, the EGR valve is located underneath the throttle body (where the air intake hooks up to). It's a saucer looking thing with a two tubes (I think) coming out of it. Probably about 3-4 inches in diameter. If you reach down underneath of it, you should be able to push up and make it move. If it doesn't move freely, then you should have someone take it off and clean it. Make sure that all the tubes are connected and snug, they have a tendency to get loose or rotted after awhile. If the EGR got stuck, then it could certainly cause the car to not start. You shouldn't require any tools to do these checks. Do a search and you might find pictures of the EGR valve in one of these forums.

Good luck!

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
the egr has NOTHING to do with how or if your car will start. In reality, u dont even really need the egr whatsoever(emissions). the problem it sounds to me like, could be a dead starter. if you want to test for that, and u dont mind gettin dirty, crawl under the car and tap the starter lightly with a hammer or something. the car will more than likely start. if you need help locating the starter, let me know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kindfiend said:
You sound like you know a bit more than you lead on... if you know how to check the ECU for codes anyway. To the point, the EGR valve is located underneath the throttle body (where the air intake hooks up to). It's a saucer looking thing with a two tubes (I think) coming out of it. Probably about 3-4 inches in diameter. If you reach down underneath of it, you should be able to push up and make it move. If it doesn't move freely, then you should have someone take it off and clean it. Make sure that all the tubes are connected and snug, they have a tendency to get loose or rotted after awhile. If the EGR got stuck, then it could certainly cause the car to not start. You shouldn't require any tools to do these checks. Do a search and you might find pictures of the EGR valve in one of these forums.

Good luck!
I stuck my hand under and pushed up on the valve. It moved freely...
Now what?

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
cHoPs said:
the egr has NOTHING to do with how or if your car will start. In reality, u dont even really need the egr whatsoever(emissions). the problem it sounds to me like, could be a dead starter. if you want to test for that, and u dont mind gettin dirty, crawl under the car and tap the starter lightly with a hammer or something. the car will more than likely start. if you need help locating the starter, let me know.
Really... Then try pushing the EGR diaphram up while the car is idling and see how fast it stalls... if its stuck that way, the car won't start, or will run real rough. If you read the post, then you would realize she said the car sounds like it wants to start, meaning it's turning over. Starters are a common problem with our cars, but she read the code as EGR flow malfunction.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
Sethticlees said:
If the engine is making any movement at all trying to start then your problem is not likely the starter.

wrong..the the motor might be trying to turn over but if the starter doesnt let it engage...the motor isnt gonna crank.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
breezy said:
I stuck my hand under and pushed up on the valve. It moved freely...
Now what?
All vacuum lines to the EGR are ok? Well crap, now you're getting into the territory of it could be several things. If you know how to check if it's getting spark and fuel I would suggest doing that. Also, check the air filter just to make sure it's not really dirty. I don't want to suggest too much cause I don't want to be the guy that told you to replace things that don't need it. Hopefully, someone smarter than me will chime in.

·
Surf
807 Posts
You do not need to crawl under the car to tap the starter, just get a small rod/crowbar/etc. and tap it from the top of the engine.

Also, when the starter is bad, you turn the key and absolutely nothing happens, except for the power turning on (interior lights, etc.)

Maybe the fuel pump or fuel filter?

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
breezy said:
It will go...rrrrrrrr...then a short....cherchunk...then back to....rrrrrr

It sounds like it wants to start but it won't...

Thanks for all your responses..!!

im hard pressed to tell you its the starter....id be 99% positive, but that 1% hinders me because im not physically able to see and hear the car, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cHoPs said:
im hard pressed to tell you its the starter....id be 99% positive, but that 1% hinders me because im not physically able to see and hear the car, etc.
The motor tries hard to turn over, but it just won't kick...

It's getting fuel, it's getting sparks to the plugs, fuel to the plugs, the injectors have power....

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
breezy said:

It's getting fuel, it's getting sparks to the plugs, fuel to the plugs, the injectors have power....

just get under the car, give the starter a few love taps with a hammer and crank that thing right back up.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
breezy said:

Since you're replying to these quickly, it wouldn't hurt to give the starter a few taps and see what happens. Starters are a big problem with these cars, and most of the time when they go it's just a click and nothing happens. I suppose I'll give chops the benefit of the doubt, and accept the possibility that the starter could be worn out and not catching.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
Shawn said:
Or save time, trouble, and clean cloths, and just pop the hood and tap it from the top.

you can do that too....haha, i guess i like crawling under my car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nostrodomas said:
You just like to look like you are doing something thats why....lol
When you turn the key does the engine turn with no problems? The same sound all the way through?

It stumbles like it's trying to fire..

Oh BTW...I tapped on the starter..nothing...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.