Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a problem for the past year and a half when I changed my clutch out. My clutch engages really hard. I bought the clutch at autozngone, and whenever I shift into first or second you can actually feel the clutch when it engages. Its like "boom!". Isn't a clutch supposed to engage smoothly? I also changed the clutch cable and oil as well. Could it be that I purchased a piece of crap clutch? Do I need a new clutch kit? Im a college student and all I do with the car is drive it to school and back home. Its a 1.6L with 205000 miles. Otherwise the engine is still good. If I need a new clutch kit then can someone recommend me some that are relatively cheap? Also with the idling issue, whenever its cold out my car will almost never idle around its normal point which is 650rpm, it will actually hover around 900rpm. This only happens whenever its cold out, for example, yesterday was about 75-80F and the engine idled normally. Is it that the engine never really warms up to its full operating temperature although the needle says it has? Sorry for the long post, but if anyone can help it will be appreciated. :confused:

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
When you changed your clutch, did you change your pressure plate and throw-out bearing as well? It could be a bad throw-out bearing, or it could just be a bad adjustment on your clutch cable. When I first put my stage one clutch it, the adjustment took quite some time to get it right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the pressure plate came with the clutch kit itself and the throwou.t bearing too. Those 2 items should be standard in a clutch kit. Also good point on my clutch cable, I bought a clutch cable from autozone, one of the more expensive ones, and the adjustment on the cable is tightened up all the way. So much that you cannot turn the screw anymore either. So this could be the problem. Also a few pointers on adjusting the cable would be great too. Could it be that the clutch cable has been elongated? It was made in Italy I believe also if that information is of any relevance. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,240 Posts
people here have reported problems with aftermarket cables.
I used a Autozone clutch kit as well.
Also put in new Nissan clutch cable. As far as i could tell the OEM had stretched 1/4 inch in 90K miles.
Mine engaged smoothly. Only issue i had was it dragged a bit, reverse would crunch a bit if i didn't pop it in 5th first.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,240 Posts
re: idling.
yes it should idle up at 900 1000 or even 1100 when cold, and reduce to the normal 750 when cold.
however it should return to 750 when normal operating temp is reached.
So if you are having idling problems the first suspect is the IAVC this sometimes need cleaning. Search and you will find threads telling you how to do this.
After that if the problem doesn't go away there is an AIR temp sensor and coolant temp sensor, these drift before going bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts