Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 Sentra SE-R. When my AC is on, my fans do not stay on all the time. They keep cutting on and off. Because of this, my car overheats (especially on the highway) when it is 90+ degrees outside. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this problem? Is there a sensor or a wire that I need to look for? Please help!

thanks in advance

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I checked all my wiring diagrams and as far as I can tell the relay(s) are controlled solely by the ECU, so your ECU is the one telling them to turn on or not. Use a voltemeter to check the blue wire at the radiator fan relay, and there should be voltage present when the fans are running, leave the meter on there and see if voltage ceases when the fans turn off. If it doesn't, then I'd suspect that your relay isn't staying closed. If the voltage does cease, then your relay could still be bad. The way to know for sure is to unhook the relay when the fans aren't running and check for continuity to ground on that blue wire in the relay harness. There shouldn't be any continuity. The way the ECU triggers the relay is by sending a ground to that wire on the relay. If there is continuity and the fans had stopped, either the relay is crapping out or the fans are. The way to know this for sure is to check for voltage at the Brown/white wire on the fans, and do so while they're running, If you can do so safely, and see if there is still voltage present when the fans cut out. If there is, then your fans are cutting out because of some malfuntion on their part. If the voltage does cut when the fans do, and that blue relay wire still has continuity to ground at that point (remember to check that with the relay disconnected from the harness), then your relay is at fault. If all checks out, then you need to determine why your ECU is cutting the fans when the temp is still too high. Which could be your water temp sensor. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
389 Posts
People have wired there fans to a switch before. (it can be done) I don't know exactly how but I'm sure if you did some searching you can find out to do it. Good Luck

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Wiring the fans to a swtich is pretty easy, lots of ways to do it. If anyone wants help figuring it out let me know, I enjoy that kind of stuff. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts