Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished off the water pump and timing belt project yesterday with no problems. Started right up, first time. No problems but one, really. The fan runs constantly now. I'm wondering if we didn't somehow damage the clutch during reassembly. Maybe it's a belt issue? There's also a pronounced belt or pulley whine which I'm assuming is the fan but I can't really tell where it's coming from. Any ideas to help me troubleshoot?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
If we overtightened the nuts that secure the fan to the liquid coupling, could that be the problem? The Chilton book is less than helpful here...

The Chilton guide also says in small words not to place it on "its side." We had the fan/clutch sitting flat on the garage floor for several days. Would this really ruin the clutch? How do I test it, other than observe that it runs constantly? I'm already in for about $500, what's another $40?
*sigh*

One other thing... if the timing belt is too tight, will it make a horrifying noise? Maybe not horrifying, but definitely loud. We had two different specs for the tensioner and went with the one that seemed most trustworthy. Now we have a whine that increases in pitch as the engine revs. Bottom line, I think it's too tight. Do I have to tear down the front of the damned engine again to check it/adjust it?

·
3,553 Posts
The timing belt is too tight. Left that way, it can break the end off a camshaft or simply wear out the tensioner. In this case it should be re-tensioned, which means yes, you have to take all that lovely stuff back off again. Don't feel alone, I did the exact same thing once. I talked to the techs at my local dealership...they have a rule of thumb for VG30 and 33 timing belts: with the top cover off, twist the timing belt between the cam sprockets. You should be able to turn it roughly 90 degrees by hand if the tension is set correctly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Noted. The mechanic I was working with is convinced the belt can't be too tight, that timing belts (all belts, actually) need to be tighter than you think because they'll stretch, and that the sound must be a pulley or the fan (which I've replaced after realizing I ruined the clutch by storing it flat on the ground for a couple of weeks). I tore the engine down again (in under an hour) and backed off the tension just a bit, enough that I can get a bit of a twist between the cams. It was so tight I couldn't twist it at all.
While I was in there I went ahead and replaced the thermostat because as I discovered after buttoning it all up last time, it was still leaking profusely around the inlet. There was literally no gasket when I took the thermostat housing off. I think I'm still getting some leakage around the actual inlet and can't figure out how to remove it. It looks like there are two bolts securing it to the block but I can't get tot he back one even with a box wrench.
ANYWAY, after all of that, now it won't start at all. It was clicking, so I took the batter in and had it charged (about 150amps low) and it only charged back up to about 505, so they think it's going bad. I was also concerned the belt could have slipped either because it was too tight initially, or because I loosened it. Given it never turned over when I cranked it, I don't think that's very likely, but I thought I'd ask.
Any suggestions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts