Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good place to look at body kits? And also, what do you guys think of maaco paint jobs? Some bastards decided to key my car, and thought hell they might as well wrap the key marks around the WHOLE DAMN CAR. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Don't go to Maaco. Please don't go to Maaco. Your paint will probably look worse than before. Leave your windows down and they'll paint your interior for free :rolleyes: .

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Maaco = poo

And if your lucky, they'll hit your radiator AND muffler as well!!! *This happened to a friend's former SE-R... looked like poo* :(

Listen to samo... he is "All-Powerful", you know. LOL

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Good paint is gonna cost you, unless you have a hook up. You can take your chances at a place like Maaco... but many people on this board will tell you from experience what type of quality they *can* be known for. That being bad.

·
Registered
547 Posts
it's the paint that Maaco uses. If you can go out and buy your own quart of paint, and have them paint it, it won't be THAT bad. And if you get the chance, try to talk to the painter yourself and tell him if you like his job, then you'll slip him a couple bills from under the table. You'll put a smile on his face, and he'll put a good job on your car.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I can post a link to you guys where this guy bought his own paint, took it to Maaco, and it looks really good (surprisingly enough). I really think it's just the paint they use and the shitty painters they have. You could also strip everything off yourself, I mean cover everything you don't want to be touched, and be sure to cover your lights because they'll have at it! And really, if you can go out and buy your own paint which is expensive and can be depending on the paint you buy, you can take it to a dealership or a reputable paint shop and they will do a good job for not so much more than Maaco would have.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I bought my SE-R in 1999 (classic red), there was a very small faded spot on the roof, which, over the next year and a half became simply a white roof with some shades of what used to be red. Some faded spots were also on the trunk and hood.
I took it to Maaco (I'm not crazy about my car looking like a 30,000 car), and paid some $250. They stripped the roof, trunk and hood and repainted the whole car and it looks great. I get compliments everywhere. I wasn't too happy with the finish (some paint went a little over the edge here and there), but you really had to look to notice.
I know a lot of guys invest a lot of money into their SE-Rs, but I'm happy with my alternative.

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Zexel said:
IMO...this Talon is very clean cut and nice. And the paint job is very well done.

I agree that paint job looks real good. But did you notice he said he (1) spent about a grand and (2) knew the owner. FWIW, when I hear "Maaco", I do not associate it with more than a $200-300 paint job, hence the lack of good quality you get from their Specials .

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
You could spend $1000 for a paintjob like that at Maaco, and maybe you'll get lucky. But Austin's (which is the shop around here that does all the showcars and hotrods) charges $1200 and they do an awesome job. Take it to a real body shop.

·
Master of the 5th speed
147 Posts
I had my car painted at Maaco, it was really nice, but after a few years, the paint started to chip. They can do a good job, but they dont prep the car good enough. If I was able to do body work, and had the time, I would have prepped my car first, then take it to them and just have them paint it.

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
I found out that $200 can get you 2 coats of paint and 3-4 coats of clearcoat. The only problem is finding a good shop. How could you prep the car yourself? Doing the primer thing like those hondas?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
another stupid question

Heres another stupuid question from myself . But what the hell is "maaco" ?

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Maaco is a nationwide chain of low-end paint shops that advertise entire paintjobs for circa $400. They are well known to be craptastic and cheap, not doing proper prep work and doing generally shoddy jobs. I have seen and heard of Maaco jobs with fingerprints, sand in the paint, orange peel like crazy, and mismatched paint. It is a place to fear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts