Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHen people say they got exhaust on their car do they mean just an uograded muffler or do they have a whole system?

Will just a muffler be a good upgrade to compliment my intake?
and mufflers im lookin at are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873284746

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873017482

will they stick out under your car, cus im not trying to show it off and id actually rather people not know i got an upgraded exaust

and finally under normal driving conditions are they really loud? does anyone have a soud clip of what their exhaust sounds like

sorry for all the questions in this one post

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
When people say 'exhaust' it can have various meanings. On this forum, most people refer to the 'exhaust' as both the pipe from the CAT and the muffler. Don't be confused by the Honda boys who often refer to upgrading their 'exhaust' but this translates simply into purchusing a sport muffler.

A word on exhausts on the 200SX, you will not be gaining a lot of hp through the exhaust. A muffler alone is only good for maybe 1-2 hp. Remember, the mufflers on eBay state 'UP TO a 10% gain.' The 10% gain is only going to be apparent on larger engines. I don't know a lot about the SE engine but if you have an SE-R a good resource would be se-r.net , they have a list of the common exhausts for the sr20de engine. A CAT back exhaust for the SE-R will give you about 5-10 hp depending on your setup. To achieve the higher hp numbers you need a performance header and a sport CAT so IMO it would be wiser to buy a header before an exhaust. There is a huge amount of info. regarding exhausts on the forum if you do a search.

One other thing, Stillen sells a muffler for about $250 that supposedly produces 10-15 alone. However, this seems extremely doubtful and I have yet to hear of anyone getting these gains out of a muffler alone.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I prefer the cat back systems of the weld on type mufflers. GReddy is a good exhaust. Stillen is garbage!!!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
The biggest thing to look for with an exhaust system upgrade is the company making it and the reputation of their products to withstand atmosphere as well as use. The exhaust you buy will also determine what kind of sound you get when you crank it up, drive it down the street in low speeds or on the highway at high speeds. Some sound like, as someone referred to in another post, fart cans, others have a very throaty tone, some are louder and some are softer. Also note that if it's louder it doesn't mean it's better, that seems to be a school of thought among a lot of people, heh. The older stillen mufflers were pretty bad as far as rusting and sound, personally I have a stillen muffler on my car, the newer design (se-r version) and I'm more than pleased with it. Normal driving it's whisper quiet, acceleration it has a nice deep quality to it, almost sounds like a muscle car, the BIG ones but about an octave higher in tone. It's about 6 months old now and not one sign of rust and if you've been watching national weather you'll have noticed we've gotten more than a normal share of rain over the past 2 months in Atlanta, completely welded design but is a little heavy compared to other exhausts out there. That's my two cents on that anyway. The better exhausts, although a bit more expensive, have been the HKS cat backs, Greddy cat backs and the stromung from what I've seen people post, they've all been at the very least very happy with the end results with those systems.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me those mufflers will look horibly ugly on any nissan 200sx or sentra.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The one they have pictured in the book or in the ads isn't the one you get, the one you get with a 200sx se-r looks almost identical to the stock muffler and tip, just a larger tip than stock by about 3/4 inch or an inch, really not bad. If I can get a camera I'll take a pic of it and post it here, hehe.

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
GReddy is a good exhaust. Stillen is garbage!!!!!
GReddy/Trust and Stromung are usually regarded as producing the best CAT back exhausts (I'm in the process of saving $). HKS also produces a pretty good one but I haven't heard of much info. on it. Borla is also pretty good but is notrious for being extremely loud (good or bad, depending on your view).

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im just trying to go for something that doesnt look to big and noticable, and one under normal driving conditions sounds pretty normal, do u guys got any recomendations

1 - 8 of 8 Posts