Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a stainless steel bolt-on mid-pipe and muffler on my '91 SE and ever since it's been scraping when I take sharp turns.
If there is anything more than 50 lbs in the back seat or 20 lbs in the trunk, the back gets weighed down and it's scraping over everything I touch? I know that the new pipe is quite a bit heavier than stock, but is there anything I could do about the weight issue?
I'm assuming that my rear suspension is worn out, but I wouldn't know what exactly to replace to make it right.
If anyone has any insight, that would be cool!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First thing to do is replace all of the rubber exhaust hangers. These things are pretty much worthless and stretch with time and age.

As for the suspension mods... a well designed exhaust should clear even the most worn suspension components. But... if that exhaust is any thicker than say, 14 ga. it may in fact be strecthing the hangers more than normal. First place to start is the springs. If the suspension is really shot, the shocks are blown and not supporting any of the vehicles weight which puts extra stress on the springs. In extreme cases, this might cause the springs to sag. See if you can find a set of stock springs that are in good shape so that you can compare them to what you've got. Bounce up and down on the right rear of the car, really compress the suspension.... then let go. If it returns to normal height without bouncing, then the shocks still have some life in them. If the car looks like it's bouncing excessivly than the shocks are almost definatly blown.

Start there and see what happens.
nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts