Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well I got my exhaust welded on this morning at a very reputable shop. Bought some mandrel bends from Summit, Magnaflow Street Series muffelr and 31" Thrush in place of stock resonator and cat. My car pops like crazy at low RPM's when I release the gas pedal! Is there ANY way to solve this? All the welds under the car are kick ass and I would have to highly doubt that they leak. I searched here and SR20deforum.com, but no one has figured out why it does it. All they say is "Hey, I have that pop too, it's so cool!". Now I"m not saying it's not cool, but it isn't when it does it ALL the time. I'm sure others of you have it, but does anyone know how to fix it?? It's just buggin me! BTW, I'll get pics up. And I put my tach on last night, you guys will love the mounting spot :D . I'll take pictures later when I go to my dads house...digi cam = yay!

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
the pop is when you go wot and let it go abruptly, causing a rich fuel mixture to somewhat go into the exhaust and detonate there, i've been having that since the weather got colder here and it only occurs at the first few moments of a cold start, and also if your exhaust is flowing properly, the positive pressure in the cylinders tend to push the exhaust and rich leftovers to the exhaust faster..........and hence, the pop.......

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
mine does it too, not sure how to get rid of it but when i down shift it does it really fast and doesn't sound that bad although it gets annoying when your just cruising and it sounds like your car is constantly farting.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dho - no cat.

azkick - ok thanks for the explanation. And don't make fun, it's just to hold me off until I make my own CAI. And it's just a filter...she growls though!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, and I forgot to add it does it most when it's cold, and rarely when it's warm. So there's no fix huh?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No thanks, I'll pass!! Oh, and it seems to be a lot louder than expected, within the next week will the pop come to a minimum and will the exhaust quiet down? It'll get deeper won't it? I just stood outside of my car last night and had one of my friends drive it down the block and damn, it's really loud!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
azkick - I'm just kicking with you, I didn't take it as a bad thing. It works doesn't it? ....or it better!

So no one else has any ideas huh? I read over in the SR20 forum that it helps minimize the pop to advance the timing a little bit. I've been wanting to do that for a while anyways. Think that'll work? And anything else to make it just a tad quieter??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts