Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the cylinder head in my Sentra ('88 - E16i). I was having overheating problems and excessive exhaust in the cooling system (verified using a combustion leak tester). I found a good replacement head and had it cleaned up and resurfaced and pressure tested. Put the car back together and to my dissapointment, I still have exhaust gasses in my cooling system. Does anyone else have the same problem?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
the block might be cracked between a cylinder and a water passage... i once had my block cracked but was between 2 cylinder... was so damaged that water was filling 2 of the cylinder on stop.

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
dmperfection said:
I just replaced the cylinder head in my Sentra ('88 - E16i). I was having overheating problems and excessive exhaust in the cooling system (verified using a combustion leak tester). I found a good replacement head and had it cleaned up and resurfaced and pressure tested. Put the car back together and to my dissapointment, I still have exhaust gasses in my cooling system. Does anyone else have the same problem?
Did you send the head to the machine shop before installing it? Its sucks, but maybe the head you found and installed had a crack or something. You also could have moved the head gasket as you were installing the head, I don't know.

Usually you want to send a head out to the machine shop before (re)installing. Its cheap insurance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts