Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE-V6 4wd with 69K miles.

The other day I was taking it on it's first long trip and after 1 hour on the road I pulled over at a rest stop and noticed that lots of oil was leaking from the front of the trans. After getting home I checked the level of the gear oil and it was over filled. I cleaned the trans where the oil was leaking to determine the exact location of the leak. Today I brought it in to the dealership to have it looked at and it appeared to not be leaking anymore.

One mechanic mentioned that the transmission has a Exhaust hose that allows heat to escape from the transmission.

If the transmission is overfilled will gear oil spill out of the Exhaust hose?

Thanks,
Alex Ransom

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
AlexRansom said:
I just purchased a used 2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE-V6 4wd with 69K miles.

The other day I was taking it on it's first long trip and after 1 hour on the road I pulled over at a rest stop and noticed that lots of oil was leaking from the front of the trans. After getting home I checked the level of the gear oil and it was over filled. I cleaned the trans where the oil was leaking to determine the exact location of the leak. Today I brought it in to the dealership to have it looked at and it appeared to not be leaking anymore.

One mechanic mentioned that the transmission has a Exhaust hose that allows heat to escape from the transmission.

If the transmission is overfilled will gear oil spill out of the Exhaust hose?

Thanks,
Alex Ransom
There are usually breather tubes on the trans, diff(s), and t-case, but on a 4x4 they should be long and located relatively high (versus the stubby one(s) on my 4x1). I don't know for sure, but I would think the trans would have to have been way over filled to push it up a 4x4 breather.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts