Nissan Forum banner

Excessive wind noise 2005 Pathfinder

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ic2020 
#1 ·
Has anyone else experienced the excessive wind noise or reverberation (flutter) with only the rear windows down. As soon as you hit 30mph the reverberation is so bad your ears cannot handle it. Cracking the front windows down a bit seems to help a little, but its to the point that you cannot have the rear windows down.

I talked to the dealer about this and they mentioned that they've had other complaints but at this time there are no fixes. They recommended that I go buy the clear plastic window shutters.

Has anyone fixed this problem??

#2 ·
Christian Roth said:
Has anyone else experienced the excessive wind noise or reverberation (flutter) with only the rear windows down. As soon as you hit 30mph the reverberation is so bad your ears cannot handle it. Cracking the front windows down a bit seems to help a little, but its to the point that you cannot have the rear windows down.

I talked to the dealer about this and they mentioned that they've had other complaints but at this time there are no fixes. They recommended that I go buy the clear plastic window shutters.

Has anyone fixed this problem??

That happens with most cars. It is quite normal.

#3 ·
I was wondering if anyone has the wind deflector on the sunroof or has had it both with and without. My 05 Pathi came with it off the dealers lot and I think it makes to much noise but not too sure about taking it off, if it would be better or worse. On a somewhat related note, my BMW 325 is horrible with the reverb with only the rear windows down.

#5 ·
patrick39 said:
I think the noise is normal because many other cars also have those noise when you put the rear windows down. I know that noise is really frustating and I don't think the dealer can do anything about it because that is the design of the truck.
I love that our soceity feels that since every vehcile does it, it must be normal and OK. It seems more and more of the new vehciles all do this, what happened to all the good engineers.

#7 ·
Just a theory, but might you be hearing the resonant frequency of the forward compartment and the result of good aerodynamics and seals.

Opening a front window slightly or maybe even a vent should reduce the effect.

#8 ·
Animal said:
Just a theory, but might you be hearing the resonant frequency of the forward compartment and the result of good aerodynamics and seals.

Opening a front window slightly or maybe even a vent should reduce the effect.
I would also agree... as air pressure will always try to equal out the pressure and when only the rear windows are open shapes of vehicle make the equalization process much more difficult, thus when you slightly (or more) open a front window or sunroof the pressure can then adjust and the noise or the "tum tum tum" noise goes away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.