Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me. I've tried to search the forum to find the answer to my problem but could find one.

I have a 2005 Pathfinder SE with 53000 miles. This issue started about a year ago. When I go highway speeds 60 to 80 mph I get extreme vibrations from the front tires. Took it and got the tires rotated and balanced at a local tire dealer. Problem did not resolve. I then took it to Nissan and was told it was out of alignment, which caused improper wear on tires. Also they balanced the tires again telling me that the local shop can not balance Nissan Tires. I know BS. Was told problem should correct it self after couple thousand miles. Well it didn't. Have since bought new tires and problem still there. The only thing that seems to solve the problem is drive with the 4x4 activated. When I do that I have no vibrations. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
This is a common complaint with the Xterras as well!
The problem is worn u-joints on the front driveshaft! It's still covered by your powertrain warranty. Make an appointment and have them replace it.

We do atleast one a week at my dealership...:)

Btw, since it's covered by the PT warranty, they'll replace the entire shaft and NOT just the u-joints!

I'm VERY surprised that the Nissan dealership couldn't find that out!...:loser:

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Experience on a 01 PF LE, after installing Michelin LTX tires which were balanced fine , after a blowout at 22k - the one tire was replaced by COSTCO (btw, very poor service from Michelin techinicians as the tire thread seprated from the sidewall and wrapped arounf the tailpipe and rear mud flap, but that's another story I posted somewhere around here), I had a very tough time getting the wheels to be balanced.. They were balanced and rebalanced numerous times at different COSTCOs [they do it for the life of the tire], and FINALLY, the right guy did the job correctly. Smooth as pie - at least compared to what was experienced for almost a year. You may want to give that shot: find a very good shop with good experience with Balancing & Wheel Alignment. Switch front tires to back, so forth. Sometimes, a Wheel may have warped or dented from a pot hole. The aluminum wheels will do that more easily than the older steel wheels from yester year.......yes, I'm Old.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts