Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Bought an '02 SE-R with 56k miles for my son and I to both use and work on together. Having a problem with clutch when driven in traffic for a while or if you drive it hard for a period of time. The clutch develops a tremendous amount of freeplay at the top of the pedal. When depressed, he clutch still engages fine and at the same spot as always. The clutch will fully engage by about the half-pedal position. From that point up to the top of the pedal postion is all freeplay. When the car is allowed to cool off, the clutch freeplay returns to normal. Thought the clutch fluid might be overheating or some way responsible. Flushed entire system and replaced with DOT 4 fluid. Condition still exists. Clutch operates perfectly, no slippage. Anyone have a logical place to look next? Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 04 Spec V did the same thing. I took it to a good Trans and Clutch shop I know and they couldn't fiquare it out so I just had to live with it. Mine only did it under extreme conditions (car load of people or a lot of city driveing in hot weather). I personally think it's caused by the exhaust manafold being so close to the clutch slave cylinder. But I may be wrong. Hopefully you will find the answer.......good luck...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Same thing here!

My 03 Spec V does the same thing. I have ~145K miles. It seemed to start at about 100K miles.

It seems to take place suddenly. I would think that temperature would make it change slowly. But it is pretty fast.

Can't see how a master or slave cylinder could cause it. There are no leaks.

Works like normal after cool off. Very annoying. Keep us posted if you discover anything. I'll do same.

Slimbob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully an answer!

Thanks for all your responses. To answer a couple of your questions, the entire system was bled and fluis replaced with a DOT 4 fluid better able to deal with heat if that was the issue. Didn't cure problem.
My son posted on another forum and received multiple responses directed at replacing the clutch hydraulic line with a stainless steel braided unit. I really don't see how this could be a problem but for the $28.00, I'll give it a try.
I'll keep you all advised and thanks for your ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why?

Thanks for the suggestion re: the slave cylinder, but can you explain how or why the slave can be responsible?:confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
TomCat86,
Any updates on this issue. It happened twice this week with the heat here.
Any more info would be appreciated if you fix or explore the problem.

Thanks,
Slimbob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
update

Since the car isn't driven daily, I haven't been in a rush to make repairs. I did however buy the stainless clutch line and a new slave cylinder which will be installed in a couple of days. DIdn't want to go through the exercise of bleeding system twice so I'm replacing both items at same time. Will update afterwards.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since the car isn't driven daily, I haven't been in a rush to make repairs. I did however buy the stainless clutch line and a new slave cylinder which will be installed in a couple of days. DIdn't want to go through the exercise of bleeding system twice so I'm replacing both items at same time. Will update afterwards.:)
if the problem continues it's your clutch master cylinder. i experienced the same problem (02 spec-v) somewhere around 61k miles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Go with a performance clutch kit, those are made for running long and strong in hot conditions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts