Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i finally decided to change the starter myself. please tell me the exact location of the starter , whether i can work from the top or should i work from the bottom. whether something has to be removed to reach the starter, .. i looked from underneath and found the alternator and the a/c compressor on the top. i am not able to locate the starter . please help
thank you
mk

·
Surf
807 Posts
same engine as my 97 gxe so i'm assuming its in the same spot. it's hard to explain, but if you look under your hood its on the right side of the valve cover...and down mounted on top of the tranny i believe. I didn't change mine myself so i never got a great look at it but i could show you where it was if i had a pic. it's hard to explain.

in regards to working from the top or bottom...i watched as a mechanic did mine and he had the car on a lift. he raised it and lowered it numerous times...so i'm not sure how to answer that.

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
mk_sentra said:
hi
i finally decided to change the starter myself. please tell me the exact location of the starter , whether i can work from the top or should i work from the bottom. whether something has to be removed to reach the starter, .. i looked from underneath and found the alternator and the a/c compressor on the top. i am not able to locate the starter . please help
thank you
mk
underneath the intake runners of 3 and 4 or you could say underneath the throttle body.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
work from top or bottom

hi

can i do all the work only from the top or from the bottom also?

alldata diy says that its underneath the "air duct"

is "air duct" the same as air filter location?
thanks

·
**best avatar award**
2,596 Posts
i have a 93 with the same engine and i replaced the starter myself. it took me awhile to actually get to it but with help from the sentra "bible" it turned out to be fairly easy. there are only two bolts holding the starter in place, one you can reach from the top, the other you need to get to from underneath. you'll also need to disconnect the wiring plug from it which you can get to from underneath.

oh yeah, depending on how small your hands are, there is a bracket blocking the starter. just remove it and put it back on when you're done. i can't remember what it holds in place but don't worry, nothing will fall on you when you try to remove it.

buy yourself the sentra "bible" and you'll be better off.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I'd do it from the top, that's how I pulled mine when I was replacing my clutch in my '93 XE this past spring. It takes longer just to get to the starter than it does to remove it. Might I suggest that before you put your replacement starter in, pull the housing apart and grease the shit out of the gear. Both my '93's had/have starter squeal and I've heard this is the only way to fix it. So you might as well buy yourself some time and do it now while the replacement starter is out of the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
DID IT FINALLY

Hi all
i finally changed the starter myself. this is the first time in life i have changed something on my car on my own and i am really really happy about it.
it was a pain locating the starter and then more time to remove the bolts and the wiring connecting it. but finally i did it.

one more thing. i used to get a screeching noise when starting the car sometimes previously and i still get that screeching sound while starting the car sometimes. whats wrong?>

i put some grease on teeth of the starter . i guess that was supposed to remove the screeching.

what kind of grease do i buy and how much should i apply

thanks a lot to all of you

mk

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
You have to pull the starter gear housing off and grease the crap out of the gears. I'd use gnereal purpose grease, full synthetic. It's like $3 a can. Use a decent amount of it. I'll be doing this same thing to my starter when I do my clutch here in the next few weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts