Nissan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a set of ES MMIs, and there were no washers in the box. Did I get some sort of Gen II that doesn't need washers, or do I need to go buy some from Home Depot? If so, what size and how many? Also, the NPM install mentioned "metal shims"... is this the same thing as washers?

·
Registered
10 Posts
acriml01 said:
Just bought a set of ES MMIs, and there were no washers in the box. Did I get some sort of Gen II that doesn't need washers, or do I need to go buy some from Home Depot? If so, what size and how many? Also, the NPM install mentioned "metal shims"... is this the same thing as washers?

wHATS THIS ES MMI ?

Don't want to be blissful...

·
Registered
11 Posts
The ES inserts don't use any washers, but there have been some problems (very limited) with the inserts popping out over time....that would be the only reason for the metal shims I believe, to hold the insert in place.

I've had mine in for a year with no shims and no problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
acriml01 said:
Cool, thanks. Do you (or anyone else) know what's a good torque for the bolts? I don't want to over- or undertorque them.
front 2 subframe bolts (app. 55-60 ft. lbs.)
rear 2 subframe bolts (app. 55-60 ft. lbs.)
MM bolts (app. 70 ft. lbs.)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Phenix_fyah said:
Oh ok,

I see the instructions. Now when I put the car on jack stands, Do i need to put something to keep the engine up or not?
I just installed mine yesterday (and I love them).

No, the engine has other mounts to hold it up. The only thing you may need to do is use a jack with a piece of wood on it to push up the bell housing (the big silver thing on the left side of the car near the rear mount) just so it'll be easier to line up the rear MM bolt. This is because the engine can still pivot until you get the crossmember back on.

One more little tip, the jack also comes in handy to push the rear part of the crossmember back in if you can't push it in by hand.

Last tip: remove the exhaust hanger bracket near the rear bolt (don't forget to put it back on after you're done). It makes it much easier to remove the rear bolt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts