Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Sentra GXE 1.8L 80k miles

The tach constantly is jumpy to the tune of about 500rpm. The CEL is ON most of the time but occaisonaly turns itself OFF for about a day. But even when it's off, it's still throwing codes (as per my diagnostic mechanic friend).

This has gone on for the past year. It's inspection/emissions time and of course the car won't pass. I have taken it to a authorized Nissan dealer and they have replaced computer and cam sensors but no good. They're "guess" is a timing chain that they'll gladly replace for $900. My diagnostic mechanic friend tells me that this is BS. I tend to agree since my previous 1992 Sentra timing chain was never replaced in the 175,000 miles that I had it with 98% city driving. He INSISTS that the engine is running smoothly and tach is doing what it's told by the computer.

If I take it back to the only authorized dealer in my area, they'll revert to the timing chain being the problem. I asked them if the timing chain doesn't fix it, are they going to not charge me for it or put my old one back on for no charge? They say no. I say FU.

Anyone come across anything like this?

·