Nissan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started working on my B13 again and been fighting a few problems since I've gotten the motor installed. I drove it to work today to see how it was doing and by the time I got to work, (a 10-15 minute ride) I looked under the car and the output side of the cat and the pipe were starting to glow a bit. Past experience tells me this is a running rich condition, is this correct?!?! I have plenty of exhaust coming out the tailpipe, so I don't believe it to be clogged. I have no codes in the ECU other then the usual code 55.

Also, my idle is erratic. While at a stoplight, the car will bounce from 1500 to 2000 rpms and back once about every second and a half or so, then repeats the process. I've already done a bunch of the usual quick fixes, cleaning the throttle body and IAC Valve, new rotor, cap, plugs, wires, seals, water pump, clutch, while I was putting the new motor in.

Are these two problems related?!?! Any thoughts or ideas??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Modemagic said:
Started working on my B13 again and been fighting a few problems since I've gotten the motor installed. I drove it to work today to see how it was doing and by the time I got to work, (a 10-15 minute ride) I looked under the car and the output side of the cat and the pipe were starting to glow a bit. Past experience tells me this is a running rich condition, is this correct?!?! I have plenty of exhaust coming out the tailpipe, so I don't believe it to be clogged. I have no codes in the ECU other then the usual code 55.

Also, my idle is erratic. While at a stoplight, the car will bounce from 1500 to 2000 rpms and back once about every second and a half or so, then repeats the process. I've already done a bunch of the usual quick fixes, cleaning the throttle body and IAC Valve, new rotor, cap, plugs, wires, seals, water pump, clutch, while I was putting the new motor in.

Are these two problems related?!?! Any thoughts or ideas??
your cat is most likely cloged. running rich would not make your car run that hot. running lean on the other hand would make you run a lot hotter. easy solution look at your plugs that will tell you if you are running to rich.

check you throttle cable it may be to tight. thus not letting it idel down

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting PSr.... Two of the plugs are clearly blacker then the others. If my cat was clogged, wouldn't I be able to bog down the motor by covering the tailpipe at the muffler? The exhaust coming out of the tailpipe is strong and if i try to stall it by covering it, I can't get the motor to even attempt to slow down.

My throttle cable has a lil' slack in it. I triple checked that one.

I also did notice that I do have a loss of power. The car doesn't seem like it pulls/accelerates like it should. Is this also related??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Modemagic said:
If my cat was clogged, wouldn't I be able to bog down the motor by covering the tailpipe at the muffler?
yes at idle it wont do a thing but if you give it some gas then it'll start to bog down

Modemagic said:
can't get the motor to even attempt to slow down.

you might have to adjust your tps sensor, and make sure its pluged in, check the wires to make sure you didnt cut any in the prosess of the engine swap.
if the tps sensor isnt pluged in that will cause the car engine to idle fast

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PSr_SEX-R said:
yes at idle it wont do a thing but if you give it some gas then it'll start to bog down

you might have to adjust your tps sensor, and make sure its pluged in, check the wires to make sure you didnt cut any in the prosess of the engine swap.
if the tps sensor isnt pluged in that will cause the car engine to idle fast
Will the clog be before or after the cherry red spot on the exhaust?!?!

The TPS sensor is plugged in. I even tried using the one from my old motor with the same results. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
my car has the same idle problem as yours. mine donesn't do it all the time though. climate conditions seem to have no effect on it either. i've tried a number of things except for replacing the tps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If its after the red spot, its not actually the clog then, there is a slightly bigger pipe that it goes into, not sure what the hell it is, but I'll cut that out and just put a straight pipe in there. Yeah I know, its not exactly the right way, but this is Iowa, no emissions testing, no inspections, we can get away with whatever! :)

The idle problem still baffles me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
idle problems

I have a sentra 95 with a 94 ga16de and i have idle problems.. I start the car and it idles correctly, but sometimes, if i just press and release the throttle, the idle increases and stay at about 1500-2000 rpm. sometimes it decrease to normal speed after 5 seconds, and other times it never drop down. when it stay a this rpm, i unplug the tps, wait and replug it and it drop down and the problem never recome for the time i drive it. but when i restart the car next time the problem reappear. the tps seem to be ok, and i adjust it to 0.45v close throttle and about 4v full throttle.
any ideas about the way to fix this trouble??

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no idea at this point... I wonder about the car running lean... shouldn't the O2 sensor be picking something up and in turn adjusting, or at least kicking out a code??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts