Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since the weather in our area turned cold I've noticed an engine whine comming from the front of the engine. It sounds like if you had timming gears instead of a timming chain, but not as loud. It's very noticable around 2000 RPM. It sounds like it could be the water pump but I just can't pin-point were its comming from. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a whine last year and it ended up to be the A/C idler pulley.Initially i thought it was the water pump just because of the the way it sounded and where it seemed the whine was coming from.Remove the belts one at a time and listen and you may be able to determine if this is the case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You read my mind, I thought about doing that very thing. I sure hope its not the timming chain tensioners because man what a job that is to replace those. Please ANYTHING but those! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Ever since the weather in our area turned cold I've noticed an engine whine comming from the front of the engine. It sounds like if you had timming gears instead of a timming chain, but not as loud. It's very noticable around 2000 RPM. It sounds like it could be the water pump but I just can't pin-point were its comming from. Has anyone else had this issue?
If you have the VQ40DE engine, it's more than likely it's the enfamous timing chain and tensioner.

I had the exact same thing, but could hear the whining at 1600rpm. If you're out of warranty, it'd cost about $1500 to fix and at least a few days in the garage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you have an SR it could be, water pump, alternator, or your air conditioning pump. usualy its the air conditioning pump or alternator tht goes 1st, so remove the belt of that and c wht it does. but ul need a shorter belt to conect the alternator back up to the crank if you plain remove the AC pump as i did.. i have recently had this issue myself. and a new belt isnt much $$

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
if you have an SR it could be, water pump, alternator, or your air conditioning pump. usualy its the air conditioning pump or alternator tht goes 1st, so remove the belt of that and c wht it does. but ul need a shorter belt to conect the alternator back up to the crank if you plain remove the AC pump as i did.. i have recently had this issue myself. and a new belt isnt much $$

Good Luck.
What's an SR...? I wish people would state what year vehicle they are having a problem with. That would be helpful to the owner and responders. :eek:(

·
Registered
27 Posts
SR16DE, SR18DE, SR20DE. Come in mainly the earlier Primera's, Pulsar's, Bluebird's and a couple others i think around the 1989-1994 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Good Luck.
Sorry, I forgot to mention in my first post that I have a S model '06 Pathfinder. Unfortunatly, it does have the VQ40DE engine, damn.:balls:

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
Sure sounds like you MIGHT have bad camshaft chain tensioners? We've done quite a few at my dealership. If you are still under the powertrain warranty, you are covered!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure sounds like you MIGHT have bad camshaft chain tensioners? We've done quite a few at my dealership. If you are still under the powertrain warranty, you are covered!
Unfortunately, I only had the 3/36,000 mile warranty and I'm already at about 48,000mi. You wouldn't happen to know about how much it would cost to have it done at a dealership do you? I've been debating about doing it myself or not, looks like quite a chore with all the stuff you have to remove. I have always worked on my own vehicles and used to enjoy it, but anymore I just can't seem to get enthused about any of it, tired of busting my knuckles I guess. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
^^^Anything having to do with the engine, trans, transfer case and differentials are ALL covered...5 years or 60K miles...whichever comes first!

Arctic37, you ARE COVERED by the powertrain warranty still! Go get them replaced, so that you don't pay!

It'll probably cost you $1,500 if you have to pay!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^Anything having to do with the engine, trans, transfer case and differentials are ALL covered...5 years or 60K miles...whichever comes first!

Arctic37, you ARE COVERED by the powertrain warranty still! Go get them replaced, so that you don't pay!

It'll probably cost you $1,500 if you have to pay!
Good deal man, thanks for the info. Our Pathfinder is already in the shop for a problem with the steering wheel shaft comming loose so I'll give those guys a call and have them include that in on the repair list. Thanks again man, its cool to be able to talk to someone that actually works on these things. Have a good one.:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts