Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a '96 200sx se-r with an auto trans. Looking to swap in an sr20det, but curious about swapping the manual tran. If I swap the entire engine, will replacing the auto trans with the manual be too difficult of a job or should I just live with my auto se-r? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you want to do both and have the money to get both at the same time, I'd do it at the same time, will be much easier since you'll have to disconnect the trans anyway, plus with putting the clutch on and no engine there you'll have more room to cut out that nice hole you'll need in the firewall to put the pedal in and get the wires for it set up, that way you drop the engine in, plug everything up (and bolt everything down...VERY important if you want to keep the engine under the hood...sorry, just being a smartass) and you're set to go. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Linkages???

Hey you forgot the shift linkages and all that stuff too......need another pedal set, shifter linkages, clutch cable, cable grommet for the firewall......and im not sure if the mounts are the same or not but id replace it anyway.......id say try to sell it and find a SE-R or even a SE with a blown motor.......and a manual trans and then swap it!!!.......just my view......id love to do the swap on my 97 manual SE-R........just the whole swapping auto to manual.......PITA!!!!!!! it can be done though!!!! if ya do it more power to ya!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am doing that entire swap and its not that hard. if you are already swapping an sr20det in its very easy to install and the shifter, pedal, linkages, etc. should only cost around $200 (thats what i got em for) but i hope you do know that its gonna cost a shit load of money to swap that engine in. i am encountering that problem right now. im throwing around so much money it would make your head spin. dont swap uless you have $5000 laying around (subtract engine cost).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
to onewish. about DET swap

i would suggest doing some engine work (switch to aftermarket internals, pnp, upgrade the turbo, etc...) there's not way of telling how much or how little turture the engine and trans suffered while it was being used... one of our team members performed the swap in his sunny in the philippines... first time he went to the track, the piston rings failed... and he had to take the motor out and rebuild it... this was last year, after spending about $15,000 the motor is almost ready to be put back into the engine bay...

i would suggest saving up about $20,000 including 2 motors (1 for the transplant and the other is for parts)... this is probably the smartest thing to do, so you'll know the exact condition of the motor and trans...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts