Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I know (which isn't much) I think it's my valve springs. I was told it could be valves and something else. What do I need to do to correct this (get those nifty hks springs and cams and cam gears?). I was told that it would damage my head if I continue driving my car like it is. Thanks.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,121 Posts
JDM240Turbo said:
From what I know (which isn't much) I think it's my valve springs. I was told it could be valves and something else. What do I need to do to correct this (get those nifty hks springs and cams and cam gears?). I was told that it would damage my head if I continue driving my car like it is. Thanks.
Is it really a ticking sound or a metallic knocking sound? If it's just a ticking sound, one or more hydraulic lifters may have air in them. If it's a metallic sound, then you may have problems with the rod or main bearings.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rogoman said:
Is it really a ticking sound or a metallic knocking sound? If it's just a ticking sound, one or more hydraulic lifters may have air in them. If it's a metallic sound, then you may have problems with the rod or main bearings.
Sounds more like the lifter. How hard is it to replace the springs? :rolleyes:

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,121 Posts
JDM240Turbo said:
Sounds more like the lifter. How hard is it to replace the springs? :rolleyes:
Springs generally don't need replacement unless they are broken or are weak (below FSM spec). The valve assembly ticking is most likely due to air in the hydraulic lifters or worn rocker arm guides/shims.

There's also a possibility of very low oil pressure which could affect lifter operation and affect timing chain tensioner operation.

To replace a spring, the cam over that particular valve spring needs to be removed. To replace all the springs, it's best to remove the head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts