Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've boughten 3 thermostats for my 97' 200sx 1.6L already and they dont work. I have boiled them at 180 degrees to see if they would work. The 3rd one worked but when i put it in my car it overheats. I am driving now without the thermostat, and it runs perfect without overheating. What temperature should the head run at in order to know if its my temperature gauge?

Wil

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Everytime you install a new thermostat you must purge the air out of your engine block (thermostat has to be immersed completely in coolant to open at the right temp I think it's 82 C OEM). The thermostat opens up the radiator circuit only when the engine needs it. If you have the circuit open all the time (no thermostat) the water temp sending unit becomes useless and your ECU won't be able to get a steady readout meaning you'll prolly run lean and add engine wear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes. The problem is more than likely that you are not getting all the air out first. The factory service manual has specific (and tedious) instructions on how to do it. If you don't do this correctly you could seriously mess up more than just your computer settings. Where are you getting your thermos?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts