Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here I am, a noob. Mold me how you want. I'm lookin to see what engines can go into my '98 200sx??? Anything will help, I've tried searching and I get crap from it. Its a 5 speed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, so I don't have to post a new thread. Could/should I get anything done to what I have now and swap it to whatever new setup I get later?? Or should I simply wait? Just something like intake and exhaust. I'm asking since I have very little money currently. What I have now is a '98 200sx 1.6L, 5spd, everything stock, 202,000 miles.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, so I don't have to post a new thread. Could/should I get anything done to what I have now and swap it to whatever new setup I get later?? Or should I simply wait? Just something like intake and exhaust. I'm asking since I have very little money currently. What I have now is a '98 200sx 1.6L, 5spd, everything stock, 202,000 miles.

Problem with the 1.6L is that if you add say...Intake and exhaust, you may lose power depending on the diameter of the exhaust. You can't use a header from a 1.6 on a 2.0.

I would do your best to save your money up.

One thing you CAN do though, would be to upgrade your rear and front brakes and other misc. suspension handling equipment. you'll need at a minimum bigger brakes when you complete the swap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks tekkie, so lets say I wanna have a prof. do all that (I know very little about cars), about how many hours am I lookin at payin him/her for?

Edit: by all that I mean everything posted on the list above or everything that will need to be switched out in the end.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah I do have to say the 1.6 engine is difficult to work with. Can' pull much power out of them without serious mods. I was going to do the GTiR turbo swap but wehn I seen the one post of a guy that did it and it cost alot more then what I was expecting. Honestly if you ARE going to do a swap I wouldnt go past a K&N drop in filter or a autozone spectre cone filter. There is VERY few parts that you can use from the 1.6 So like "tekkie" said you can do suspension and handling. Depending if your money situation changes for the better I would do that. I got frustrated and im going to a b15 lol. Se-r spec V 6spd. Better platform to start on I think. stock 175 hp. Dont get me wrong I love my b14 but when money is an issue and to pull anything past 10hp takes some REAL money, it just gets really frustrating when your turbo'd friends BLOW past you and you have NO chance running your 115hp B14 to redline in every gear hoping to keep them in sight lol Good luck tho!

·
Registered
313 Posts
If I were going to try and make a bit more power and had the money I would go the turbo route. Then again there are so many more capable vehicals that can be had for a song these day's and with very little mods will run fairly quick. I have been here and pondered these same questions and in the end picked up a 30k engine and trans combo from the Bone yard and decided that it is just a slow economy car that I will run into the ground....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Save up all your money and when you get your swap you can make that engine a lot faster are you going for an sr20 with or without turbo? if you are dont worry about the 1.6 just keep it in good conditions until your ready to swap my advice to you good luck with your project...

·
Registered
8 Posts
No money + No automotive knowledge = No power. You'll need at least one or the other and in MOST cases, BOTH, to reach your aspirations for your B14.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts