Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here so sorry if this post is in a different section, I put it under pathfinder because I could not find xterra section.
I have an Xterra 2001 3.3l v6 and couple weeks back I have encountered a problem. When I was driving all was good, when I stopped at a light or a stop, the engine started to stutter, it was getting worse and worse on each next stop, sometimes the engine stalled when in idle. I had difficulties driving it and I ended up having it towed. I opened up my distributor and found out that the bearing that is right under the ignition coil etc is shot. The "braces" there holding the little balls were gone (well I found them in the inside of the distributor).
My question is: Could the bad bearing be a reason why the car behaves the way it does? It seems to be doing the problem only when it is hot. I can drive 10-15 min without a single stutter or stall. Could it be anything else? I am pretty sure it is not the spark plugs or cables. They were changed couple months back and I have one of the best brands you can buy. I also changed my fuel pump and fuel filter.
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Have you read any codes yet? Some auto parts stores will do this for free for you. Or you can purchase a reader yourself and do it at home.

Hopefully someone that knows more than I will be along soon to help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.

Have you read any codes yet? Some auto parts stores will do this for free for you. Or you can purchase a reader yourself and do it at home.

Hopefully someone that knows more than I will be along soon to help you.
No engine light on, no codes. That is what´s nagging me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m not the sharpest crayon in the box, but I’d probably replace the ‘bearing’ and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not the sharpest crayon in the box, but I’d probably replace the ‘bearing’ and see if that helps.
Well replacing the bearing is not that easy. It is pressed inside the distributor and i dont have the proper tools to replace it. But thanks for your help anyway :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Might be best to just replace the entire distributor. No telling what else has been damaged in the distributor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I replaced the bearing, eventually it was not too difficult. I did 30 min test drive yesterday and more than an hour today and it looks like the problem is solved. Time shows.
I used 6000 RS (2RS or ZZ works too as long as you have the dimensions right) bearing with diameters 26mm, 10mm, 8mm. I got it for around 10 bucks. LORDCO offered me the same bearing for 46 so I laughed and walked away. Just make sure you mark the rotor before taking the distributor apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts