Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my friend's 89 Sentra again. The other day it just died at the stop sign. Took the car to the mechanic and he said it needs to have the EGR Valve cleaned and the intake needs to be cleaned. The mechanic wants to charge him around 250. We were hoping to do the work ourselves. Has anyone had to do this, or does anyone have any ideas on what exactly this entails? Thanks for the help.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Apperently the EGR is pretty easy to clean, and can be done yourself. What parts of the intake does he think needs to be cleaned?? Look inside, if you can't see any dirt then he might be BSing you

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not real familiar with what the EGR Valve actually does and where it would be located. I haven't talked to the mechanic, but I'm going to try to talk to him tomorrow. My guess is the car is running too rich and he thinks that enough air isn't going into the engine (his reference to a dirty intake). If I get a chance I will try to get him to clear up what exactly he was talking about.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
The EGR valve redirects some exhaust gases into the intake. It lowers the emissions. I'm not sure where it is located on the GA16i engine but I'm sure someone else here does, or better yet, get your friend to buy a Haynes manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts