Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I arrived at work my engine shit off as soon as I stopped. I could crank the motor but as soon as I places it in gear it would shit off again. After hours of looking at my car I noticed that I was 1QT low in oil. I'm curious if there is an emergency shut off feature to prevent the motor from seizing if there is low oil pressure. After I put a quart of oil in the vehicle acted like it never happened. I was able to drive my 80 miles home with no problem.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,254 Posts
Please state the year,model,engine and transmission of your vehicle. Without this info, it's like shooting in the dark to help you with your problem. Did the oil pressure light come on? Also, did the "check engine" light come; if so, what were the ECU codes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2015 Nissan Versa Note with 1.6L engine and CVT. The low oil pressure light never came on while driving to work. Also there were no codes stored. It's like the engine just shut off. There were no indications of any malfunction prior to the vehicle shutting off.

·
6,254 Posts
I looked through the FSM for your vehicle and could not find an emergency shut off feature to prevent the motor from seizing if there is low oil pressure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe if was just low oil pressure. After I put a quart of oil in, the vehicle acted as if nothing was wrong. Seeing as the capacity is approx 3.5 qts and it was a quart low that seems to be a lot considering most vehicles have a capacity of 5-6 quarts. What are your thoughts?

·
6,254 Posts
If you plan to check the oil pressure, here are the specs:
600 rpm: More than 14.2 psi
2,000 rpm: More than 42.6 psi
6,000 rpm: More than 56.8 psi

Oil capacity: unit: liter (US qt, lmp qt)
With oil filter change 3.5 (3 3/4, 3 1/8)
Without oil filter change 3.2 (3 3/8, 2 7/8)

Most Nissan engines have an oil pan capacity of 4.25 qts and up. Being that your engine was down 1 qt, that gives you 2 3/8 qts in the pan; not very much. Considering how high the oil pickup screen is above the bottom of the pan, you could well lose some oil flow intermittently, especially when hard accelerating; not a good thing. At least now you know to keep it full.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts