Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought replacing my O2 sensors would fix this problem, but I guess I was wrong. The engine will rev to about 1800 rpms when I push the clutch in, especially after highway driving. Sometimes it will stay at 1800 for about 15 seconds, other times it will drop right back down to it's normal idle. If I tap the gas in neutral, I can get it to do it slightly. It seems to correspond with how hard I had just pushed the gas. Like if you just rev the engine, it will drop, go back up, and drop again. Very strange... I cleaned the IACV and throttle body, timing is set at 13*, and the idle is set at 650 rpms. The throttle position sensor is within specs, and I'm out of ideas. Any ideas from the Nissan gods would help!

FYI, the car runs like it should, good milage, pickup. Just this damn revving when my foots not even on the gas.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Try testing the MAF sensor? When the idle gets silly like that... it usually seems to be vacuum troubles of some sort. make sure all the vacuum lines are connected properly. :)

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Modemagic said:
Try testing the MAF sensor? When the idle gets silly like that... it usually seems to be vacuum troubles of some sort. make sure all the vacuum lines are connected properly. :)
I tested the MAF sensor awhile back, I remember it reading slightly low, but close enough to specs. I checked and rechecked the hoses to the throttle body and EGR/BPT. Nothing seems out of place... which is why I'm at a loss.
Thanks for the suggestions anyway!

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
lshadoff said:
Check the throttle cable. Disconnect one end and pull the cable to see if it moves smoothly without binding.

Lew
The exact same thing I was thinking. Also you could just pop the hood with the car running and have someone get it to stick and see if the cable gets stuck. Might even try some WD-40 on the arm that the throttle cable attaches too. Don't sound like a sensor, more like there is friction somewhere

Mitch

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cable did cross my mind, but I have some doubts. The engine will go to idle as soon as I let off the gas, then jump. So I have to think the cable couldn't bind after it already let off. The other reason is that it only happens when the car warms up... which is why I believed it to be an O2 sensor problem. I will check the cable tommorow when I change the oil, I may find something. If I can rule out the cable, I guess it's something I'll live with. I don't think it's really detrimental to the car, more like an annoyance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts