Nissan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
but if you want max power, lowering compression will give you the ability to run much higher boost without using water injection.
yes and no........ a well tuned car, even with the stock compression ratio, can make good power if it is tuned correctly.

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
you are correct, but a properly tuned, lowered compression car can make even more hp than that. all i'm saying is that you're going to take the motor off and replace all these internals, why not go for max power, you're already knee deep into it anyway, just do it while you're in there. and down the road, you'll say either "damnit, i should have lowered compression so i could run more boost, time to rip the motor apart AGAIN" or "damn, that porche was slow!" :D

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
as far as a list of parts go and where to get em...your best bet would be to contact mike..last name saki i think.. at motivational engineering. i contacted him a few months back when i was think ing of building my ga. i have not followed through with anything yet bc i keep changing my mind. but anyway he can order you some forged pistons from ross racing and they are $500 a set and will take about 4 weeks for you to recieve them. then he can also get you some connecting rods from cunningham for i think $700 and he didnt give me a time table on those. another often overlooked weak point of our engine is the connecting rod bolts. you would definitely want to contact arp about getting some of those. im pretty sure the crank is strong enough. if you are serious about doing all this..dont forget you would want to upgrade your fuel system and brakes. the clutch would need to be upgraded and u might want to consider getting your trans. case welded and some es motor mounts. sorry for the long post, i just wanted to cover everything i could think of. hope i was of some help.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OKay thanks. Its okay for the long post. I already have some stuff like the motor mounts on the way. Im getting my tranny like cryo'd or something in the next week or so. I have decided to go with ACT as the manufacturer of my clutch only question is which one to buy?? any suggestions?? For those who have done the rebuild, how much would I need??

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
well...id either go with the act extreme pressure plate and street disc or extreme pressure plate and 6 puck disk. that is assuming you are going to boost your engine. as far as the cost building up your internals, id say around $2000..just a quick guess though

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
IM not gonna be running the turbo until id say spring break 2003. Gotta save more money, damn college. So what would you recommend?? $2000, im almost there. I was offered a GA16DE for $500 with tranny, they both have 35,000 miles on it and was thinking. Should I buy it, rebuild it outside of the engine bay and then drop it in??

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
well the $2000 was considering almsot everything. but yeah i think itd be a good idea to buy a seperate block, head, and maybe tranny. that way u can do stuff as you get it and still have your car. then if you blow your engine or somethin goes wrong you can use your old one as a back up. if you are serious about building the engine, you might want to consider some head work done. just a thought.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yo

Heres a list other Sentra peps add to it if I missed something:
Higher Pressure Head Gasket
Je Forged Pistons
Higher strength connecting rods
ARP studs

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
But dont you think the port and polish along with some extrude honing will further allow me to get more power out of this little GA16?? We gotta see what power this engine can out put.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have obtained an extra cylinder head, have the company to do the porting balance. I am thinking about having a place make me a custom metal head gasket for the setup. Also, Pauter machine will make me pistons and rods with ARP rod bolts for a good price. They have super X-beam rods that are good for high compression or Turbo. Pistons can be coated with Swain moly thermal top and side skirts. I want piston oil squirters too. I am having the crank micropolished and balanced for over 8000 rpm. I believe the GA will hold up well, When we tore the spare motor apart, my uncle told me the thing was strong, but the rods were weak and bolts had low torque spec. But the head can be dealt with and since the cams are out, I can continue my project, just need cash! I have the motor in pieces, but no money to built it the way i want it.
chris 92 classic

·
Doodeee doodee doodee doo
1,495 Posts
i can attest to the weak knees on the connecting rods. i've actually bent a few. cost me big-a$$ money to fix the whole engine. if i were you, those would definitely be the first things i'd change.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts