Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to rebuild my engine and want to know where i can get most of the parts for this. I have a GA16DE and i figure while im doing this i could get stronger internals and than in the near future get my turbo. What do you people suggest??

·
Banned
809 Posts
in my opionion kid, you should get a SR20DE rebuilt.. then get cams, and an ECU. then when you go for your turbo.. my god.. talk about owning 350 Z's? you would =D

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Here's an update on what I have done towards the turbo....

boost gauge
370cc injectors
240SX MAF
s13 silvia turbo
ecu (just sent to JWT)
and the manifold/downpipe I'm waiting, waiting and waiting for HS to finish their production manifolds/downpipes so they can send it to me...

outside of that I'm waiting to find a BOV... as soon as I have all that I'll put it on asap... course the manifold and ecu is what will hold me up probably until december!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Building the Internals

As far as building the internals of a Strong GA16DE motor, especially if your thinking of turbocharging your gonna wanna use a better cylinder head gasket.......like the one Mr Gasket makes for the SR20...JE pistons can custom design some forged light weight but super strong pistons use the JWT cams and strap it all down with ARP studs. This I believe will make a pretty strong GA16DE motor. It might not be an SR20DET but if you turbo charge it.......you still have even less weight to carry around, even less than an SR20DET. Im a gigantic fan of the SR20DET, but I think its time that the little brother the GA16DET strut its stuff. You SR20 people know its only a matter of time before the GA16DE gets the same following as you guys. Hell Im just happy we can just join forces and kick hondas super spoiler, altezza wearing Type R over Hyping Si this V-tec that tired boring, over rated same ol Integra this, I have a Civic and I think I have a ferrari that ASS!!!!!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I am personally a fan of the SR20DE and GA16DE. But, I would love to see the GA16DE get the respect it so deserves. It is a better engine than most people think. Even with less displacement my GA16 is able to keep up with, if not beat basic bolt on Civics and all I have is 12* timing and a WAI. Build the GA!

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just hit 106,600 yesterday when i went to fill up on gas. The engine and tranny run good now but I know it wont be able to take the punishment of a turbo.
Thanks for the encouraging comments guys, this is what separates us from the other boards: We get along . . . for the most part anyways. One question though: After I rebuild, how long can i wait until i get the turbo. Cause rebuilding isnt gonna come cheap. Im gonna be eating at home alot in the coming months.
My friend's sentra has 160,000 miles on it and it is in excellent condition. He is still on the OEM clutch. Its wearing out barely but still cmon, 160,000 miles?? It doesnt leak or burn oil. He's going to rebuild with me as well.
Can someone make a list of how much i should be expecting to pay minus labor, i'll be doing that.

·
I think I lost my mod-nes
313 Posts
So 69,000 miles and totally stock means I should be okay for quite a while still. Thats' what I as hoping for. I thought nissan were supposed to last a long time. :)

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are alot of cars that last long. I've seen a few B13 and even B14 sentra's/200sx that have well over 200,000 miles and are still kickin ass. Nissan does make quality cars that can go well over the norm of other cars. Honda/Acura also makes cars that last a long time as well. I have big hopes for my car and i really hope that if i need help along the way of my project, some of you will be there to help me.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
You wanna hear a story about a long lasting Nissan Engine???

Well my friend in Colorado used to have an old 180SX that he used to deliver food at my mom's restaraunt... the thing was LOUD!!! It ran like a dream but the fan on the engine was loud enough to scare those guys riding Harleys... at that time the engine had like 300k miles on it already, I don't know what year it was.

Well, like three years later he sold it to another friend of his that drove it around for a year... (btw he drove that thing like his foot was welded to the floor). THe friend drove it down to New Mexico for a trip and FINALLY down in New Mexico the car finally stalled and he figured the car was worth nothing so he left it there and caught a ride home to Colorado, bought a new car. BUUUUUUTTTT, a year later the police called him and asked him if he knew where his car was, obviously he didn't. The police told him that it was in a impound in NM!!! Aparently the only thing that was wrong was the battery had died and somebody found the car, put a new battery in it and had been driving it around for a year!!! The thing must have been over 420k miles...

He never went down to pick it up....

·
Registered
500 Posts
The Little Nissan That Could

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
as far as how long you can go before turbo.....you can go as long as you want, if you don't change the compression, which i would recomend doing for turbo. if you want to build it the RIGHT WAY, slowly build up parts for both rebuild and turbo, and do it all at once. that way you have a totally fresh motor w/turbo and your car is down for one chunk of time, instead of two chunks of time. 1 chunk = how good you are with motors. i took my ga apart in a day, and put it back together in a day. getting it to run right took a week :( . but anyway, if you do change compression before turbo, you will experience loss in power and gas milage, and possibly damage, i'm not sure about the damage part though. ok, you get it. this is just my opinion, but a recipe like that......fresh motor + turbo = honda spanker:D

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
if i remember correctly, the ga16de has a 9.5:1 compression ratio. this isnt necessarily bad for turbocharging. if i were looking for a place to start building the engine, i would look at the connecting rods and their hardware.

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
yes, but if you want max power, lowering compression will give you the ability to run much higher boost without using water injection.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Go easy

Yo guys but remember go easy on the boost.....before anything my suggestion is to get an leak down and compression test to find out how your engine is doing.....it dosent hurt and in fact can only give you more knowledge as to how to begin to go about building her up correctly. Connecting Rods are the weak link with us, but a higher pressure head gasket (the stock one Ive been researching is not as boost friendly) Forged Pistons and ARP studs to hold and tame that monster should also be in the back of our minds. This will make one hell of a Hondanator!........

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the responses guys but I was wondering since im a little slow. Can you make a list of what to get?? And if possible a website or shop here in southern california where i can get those parts cheap.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts