Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
My car is making a popping sound. It happends when Im driving thru first and second gear. After that it sounds fine. At idle it sounds fine. But also while im in first, not going any where, it sounds poppy. I know thats not much to go on. If you can give me opinions on what you think it might be. I have a few guesses but am not sure.
Thanks,
Katie
95' Maxima

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see i was thinking it was an exghast leak. just cuz it sounds like it coming from the back under side of the car but the engine is also rocking a little bit... when its in first gear... and im not going anywhere.
The other thing i thought it could be was a misfire at a piston..... but ???

Im in Carrollton.
The car was driving fine yesterday and last night, then I went out for just a little while today and thats when started....

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
No check engine light?
So this only happens in 1st and 2nd?
What mods do you have?
Always put 93octane in?
Last tune-up?
Can you feel any weird vibrations?
Does the engine sound like a Camaro?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No check engine light?
Ya'll are gunna hate this.... yes check engine light is on, been on for a long while now. Codes were run by bluebob at a meet a long time ago, said it was the engine temp sensor.... but i think more is wrong now.

So this only happens in 1st and 2nd?
Thats all that i noticed, yes

What mods do you have?
Intake and exghast

Always put 93octane in?
no, 89 thats all I ever used in it (yeah, yeah thats bad) didn't think it was to bad till the last meet when i was told it was bad

Last tune-up?
ummmmmmm..... I think 90,000 miles.... its at 128,000 +/- now

Can you feel any weird vibrations?
yes, in the stering wheel and see the hood shake a little

Does the engine sound like a Camaro?
It does sound different.. like a camaro.. ehh i don't know. Im gunna take it to Autozone and have them run codes.

Thanks for helping me try to figure this out.... im hoping its nothing like a blown motor.

·
Registered
0 Posts
dfwgirl81 said:
see i was thinking it was an exghast leak. just cuz it sounds like it coming from the back under side of the car but the engine is also rocking a little bit... when its in first gear... and im not going anywhere.
The other thing i thought it could be was a misfire at a piston..... but ???

Im in Carrollton.
The car was driving fine yesterday and last night, then I went out for just a little while today and thats when started....

Since it's gear-sensitive, it probably wouldn't be a misfire or that sort. Check and see if it has anything to do with the speed you're going. Other than that, try running the codes again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Autozone

Okay i went to Autozone and they couldn't run the codes bcuz they didn't have the ODM 1 just the 2. They said check o'riellys. They didn't even have a nissan adapter... Today it was happening in all gears.. even just cruising in fourth at 40mph. It didn't start untill the car was warmed up. Thanks agian you guys. I hope to get whatever the problem is worked out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
dfwgirl81 said:
Okay i went to Autozone and they couldn't run the codes bcuz they didn't have the ODM 1 just the 2. They said check o'riellys. They didn't even have a nissan adapter... Today it was happening in all gears.. even just cruising in fourth at 40mph. It didn't start untill the car was warmed up. Thanks agian you guys. I hope to get whatever the problem is worked out.

I thought all 4th gen maximas were OBDII...even though it's a 95?

·
Registered
377 Posts
dfwgirl81 said:
i don't know, the guy came out to my car, took a look and said no it won't work.
When I get back from Austin I can pull the codes for ya no problem. I won't be back till Monday. National SE-R convention this weekend WOOT WOOT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
se-r-57 said:
When I get back from Austin I can pull the codes for ya no problem. I won't be back till Monday. National SE-R convention this weekend WOOT WOOT.

*Thank you very much. Hope you have a fun time this weekend.

My car, tonight after I got off of work, was running much better... problem still there..... just not as bad.
...... mabey the colder weather at night. ;)

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
make sure your car is obd 1 or 2 by searching on the maxima.org... autozone people are stupid and said my car is an obd 1 when it is an obd 2 .. i remember when the autzone guy plug the lil code puller he said " HOLY SHIT YOU HAVE A 96 ECU IN YOUR CAR ?!! "

autozone people some are pretty much stupid... so i wouldnt trust them 100 %

·
Registered
8 Posts
95 should be OBDII. Standard OBDII scanner will pull codes. Try a different store.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
t56gen3 said:
95 should be OBDII. Standard OBDII scanner will pull codes. Try a different store.
and tell them that it is an obd 2 and make them come out there and pull it cuz that what i had to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have ur boyfriend take it up there with his a$$hole hat on and TELL them how to do their jobs since they are idiots.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
t56gen3 said:
Have ur boyfriend take it up there with his a$$hole hat on and TELL them how to do their jobs since they are idiots.
haha asshole hat.. hahahaha

·
Registered
0 Posts
Most of the workers at autozone are highschool kids, so you're getting their expertise (not to say that's bad). I have an obdII code reader if that helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts