Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear it sometimes and it gets on my nerves. If i put 89 or 91 octane in it, i cant hear the pinging. I figured it would go away if i change the spark plugs and well i didnt know when the previous owner changed them so i did it anyways. They use to be Bosch plugs and 1 & 3 were all rusted 2 & 4 had a lot of carbon deposits on them. I couldnt find any NGK plugs around here and the local nissan dealer is kinda expensive so i decided to put in some denso plugs. It smoothed out my idle and the pinging went away but within a week and a half it came back. What do i do now? Should I change my plug wires as well??

N

·
0 Posts
have u advanced the timing on the car? and if u did, make sure its not over 15*.......and if u didnt advance it, take out the new denso plugs and check them, if they are cool, try putting some NGK cables.......but r u sure that its pinging? where does the noise come from?

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When im driving around the city i cant really hear it cause im changing gears or what not. I pay attention on the highways when im in 5th gear. It sounds like its in the engine bay (duh) infront of the passenger seat. When i pop the hood, there is a lot of debris or dirt on the hood but only on that section.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
I had a chronic pinging problem too, and retarding did nothing. Turns out that when I checked my air filter I lifted the top too high and unbeknownst to me I cracked the resonator so it was leaking air into the intake tube=lean condition=pinging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts