Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, got a '96 200SX SE that's been overheating when the A/C is on, and occasionally overheats without the A/C running on warmer days. Usually the temp gauge needle climbs up slowly, and when I crank the heater all the way, the needle falls right back.

The car's got 190k+ miles, but just had the engine replaced, along with hoses and most other parts about 10K ago. But the radiator's still original.

Any suggestions on a possible remedy before I get the radiator replaced?

Thanks!

·
a constipated monkey
143 Posts
i had the same problem. Turns out both of my cooling fans had quit on me. It might not solve the problem entirely, but you can install a thermostat with a lower trigger point, say 180 degrees instead of 220. It will make your cooling fans kick in a little earlier to keep your temps down till you figure out what is causing your problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard somewhere while back that a radiator should be replaced about 100k. Is it something that needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the fans supposed to kick on whenever A/C is on, regardless of engine temp? If this is so, then there is a relay to perform this function. If that relay is failing, it could give this symptom. It would look like it was going to overheat until it hit the thermostat setpoint and then the fans would kick on. Trying starting you engine after its cooled down, switch on the A/C and see if the fans are on before you get the engine warmed up. If not, it could be a simple relay replacement.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
hhsohn said:
Hi, got a '96 200SX SE that's been overheating when the A/C is on, and occasionally overheats without the A/C running on warmer days. Usually the temp gauge needle climbs up slowly, and when I crank the heater all the way, the needle falls right back.

The car's got 190k+ miles, but just had the engine replaced, along with hoses and most other parts about 10K ago. But the radiator's still original.

Any suggestions on a possible remedy before I get the radiator replaced?

Thanks!
It is possibly due to air in the cooling system. There are two air relief plugs for preventing this problem. From the B14 FSM:

Lew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts