Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so about 4k miles ago (estimate) my odometer stopped counting. i was wondering if it is an easy fix in the gauge cluster or i have to get under it and look at the transfer case or wherever the mileage is counted.

also, my engine oscilates about 300rpm, from ~980rpm to ~600rpm, when i am at an idle. does anybody know why it does this? and how i can fix it, if i can fix it.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
does your speedo still work? if so, the problem is in the cluster. you can change it out yourself but if you want it set to the correct mileage you may want to go to a shop.

check your MAF, TPS and IAC for the rough idle. your MAF is probably dirty. have you checked for any engine codes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is an, MAF, TPS, ans IAC?

remember, still learning here :p tell me what they are. ill come back with pictures :p

and no, i havnt checked for engine codes. how does one go about doing that?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
here's a link to clean the MAF (mass air flow sensor) aka MAFS How To: MAF Cleaning for a better running engine! - Topic Powered by eve community
IAC (idle air control valve) aka IACV
TPS (throttle position sensor)

these can give trouble without setting any engine codes.

there's a sticky on the truck/suv about checking for codes

being a 96 you have OBDII (onboard diagnostics 2nd generation) Autozone will read them for free, of course if something shows up they will try to sell you that part. b4 you buy post the codes, if any, and the forum can give you a direction to go.

is your CEL (check engine light) on? probably not since you didnt mention it. but the computer will save any codes that it caught.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i took out my MAF, surely enough it was dirty. not that dirty, but i could definitely see some dirt on the resistor looking things. took some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to it and cleaned them to a beautiful shine. put the MAF back in, car idles at about 500rpm now, yay for gas saving, and idles very smoothly.

i think i will just take it in to the shop for the odometer. and yes, the speedometer still works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so, the engine still oscillates. should i just replace the MAF? or wait untill i can take it in to get the codes read. the CEL is not on, and its not insured. so taking it someplace to get the codes read is kinda out of the question. is there anyway to read the codes on a 96 without taking it in? that one guide that is stikied didnt apply to my pathy.

also, the odometer is enclosed in the gauge cluster. the whole idea was not taking the cluster apart :p i guess i could just score a new cluster and have the dealership make it accurate...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts