Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have anyone here tested some of the oil coolers that are on the street like the perma-cool ? does they really work?

---
The ideal operating range for engine oil is 180°F through 200°F. While operating within this range, the oil works as a lubricant, coolant, and cleansing agent in the engine. Modern engines generally run with radiator coolant temperatures between 200°F and 220°F with oil temperature ranges between 20°F and 75°F HOTTER. In other words, when the engine is performing flawlessly, the engine oil is already overheating! Oil that exceeds 220°F rapidly loses its ability to lubricate and cool causing accerlerated fatigue and premature component failure.
---

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
They work all right. Usually guys running Rally races use them. I plan to install one as well as an electric oil pump. I'll be doing the electric oil pump to allow 100% oil pressure upon engine start-up as the pump will come one when the key is turned on. You might have to run a remote oil filter location with that kit because that block with the hose fittings mounts were your oil filter is and it could push your filter too close to the firewall.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about adding one for mine too... i only have three questions, what about oil leaks with these coolers? what about the oil pressure? and how to drain the oil system since it now has some more curves around....

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
If you really intend to install this unnecessary (for a street car) system, you would be wise to install a thermostat just like your coolant system uses. Otherwise, you prolong oil warm-up time, and as we all know, cold oil shears at high revs.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
bahearn said:
If you really intend to install this unnecessary (for a street car) system, you would be wise to install a thermostat just like your coolant system uses. Otherwise, you prolong oil warm-up time, and as we all know, cold oil shears at high revs.
Oh so very true. What you should do first (if you think you may need a cooler) is install an oil temp gauge. That will tell you if you need the cooler. My 99 GA powered Sentra has yet to top 200 deg on the street even with "spirited" driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts