Nissan Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Xorti7 said:
Just for reference, I was running 5-30 for a while with really bad ticking. I changed to a very generic 10-40 (I was looking in the cracks of the couch and finally found enough change) and it went away after a couple weeks. Now its completely gone. :cheers:
The ticking was probably your hydraulic lifters. Pretty odd, considering a lower weight oil flows better and generally stops lifter noise in other cars. I think it had a lot more to do with your oil pressure, then, in this case. I wouldn't consider running anything less than 10W40 in the VG30 anyway. That's what I ran in mine in the winter, and 15W40 in the summer. Mine was turbo, also.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Xorti7, I am not surprised. All else being equal, a thicker oil will be quieter in an engine than a thin one.

When you see (hear) a difference between two brands of oils, however, it's usually due to the additive packages.

Oh, and be aware that after 1,500-2,000 miles, most 10W-40s shear down to a 10W-30 ... but they won't go any lower than that under normal circumstances.

Actually, it's a pretty decent oil weight for use in high-performance engines ... especially the better brands (Pennzoil, Chevron & Havoline) as well as the "High-Mileage" oils.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts